Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cords... why?!

Lil Demon's Mom

Savannah Super Cat
Schrodinger loves to play with and bite cords. Any advice on how to get him to stop? I've tried bitter apple spray and telling him no, etc... but I'm not always in a position to witness him doing this.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Oh boy...you DO want to stop that.

You might try containing the cords in some PVC pipe lengths, or buy some cord containment systems at Staples or elsewhere. I know others have used hot sauce coated on cords to deter chewing. I myself use coarse ground black pepper sprinkled liberally around our many cords...it seems to really work!

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
YES DEFINITELY STOP HIM!!! I lost a great Tabby cat many years ago to electrocution. BROKE MY HEART! NO Schrodinger. NO!!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I also heard of a young serval getting electrocuted by chewing on an electrical cord - at a vet's office no less. What a tragedy!!! :cry::cry::cry:

In the 12 years I've been breeding I've only had two kittens from a litter two years ago actively chew on cords. I ended up getting the crittercord that Brigitte posted and still have it on my exposed laptop cables, and although I'm pretty sure that a determined Savannah would be able to chew through them, I have never had it happen here.

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
So Ziggy does this really strange thing around electrical cords...he licks as if he's licking the cords, but he's like an inch away. Sometimes he licks the air, then licks himself, and repeats. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Ziggy's room has no cords in it, so this is only in rooms where he's supervised. It's a bit too much interest for me, so I'm protecting the cords in the rest of the house for when he has full range.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
I'm NOT SURE Chris, and it has NEVER BEEN PROVEN, but with Savannahs, who knows. He MAY be sensing the electro-magnetic field around the cord, and licking the field. I know it can be measured with the right equipment to a distance of several inches from the cord, so maybe Ziggy is sensing it somehow and is trying to lick it clean. It would most likely "feel" like a rough surface to him...IF he is sensing it. I am probably way out in la-la land with this, but who knows?