Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cords... why?!

Lil Demon's Mom

Savannah Super Cat
Schrodinger loves to play with and bite cords. Any advice on how to get him to stop? I've tried bitter apple spray and telling him no, etc... but I'm not always in a position to witness him doing this.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Oh boy...you DO want to stop that.

You might try containing the cords in some PVC pipe lengths, or buy some cord containment systems at Staples or elsewhere. I know others have used hot sauce coated on cords to deter chewing. I myself use coarse ground black pepper sprinkled liberally around our many cords...it seems to really work!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Buy some Split Flex Tubing (Home Depot or Lowe's). It's really cheap and keeps them from chewing the cords. 22212_l.jpg

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
YES DEFINITELY STOP HIM!!! I lost a great Tabby cat many years ago to electrocution. BROKE MY HEART! NO Schrodinger. NO!!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Cord protectors like the tubing Deborah suggested is the best option. There's also www.crittercord.com , the cord protector stuff smells a bit at first but it's bitter-impregnated and I've yet to have a cat that chews on it...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I also heard of a young serval getting electrocuted by chewing on an electrical cord - at a vet's office no less. What a tragedy!!! :cry::cry::cry:

In the 12 years I've been breeding I've only had two kittens from a litter two years ago actively chew on cords. I ended up getting the crittercord that Brigitte posted and still have it on my exposed laptop cables, and although I'm pretty sure that a determined Savannah would be able to chew through them, I have never had it happen here.

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
So Ziggy does this really strange thing around electrical cords...he licks as if he's licking the cords, but he's like an inch away. Sometimes he licks the air, then licks himself, and repeats. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Ziggy's room has no cords in it, so this is only in rooms where he's supervised. It's a bit too much interest for me, so I'm protecting the cords in the rest of the house for when he has full range.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
I'm NOT SURE Chris, and it has NEVER BEEN PROVEN, but with Savannahs, who knows. He MAY be sensing the electro-magnetic field around the cord, and licking the field. I know it can be measured with the right equipment to a distance of several inches from the cord, so maybe Ziggy is sensing it somehow and is trying to lick it clean. It would most likely "feel" like a rough surface to him...IF he is sensing it. I am probably way out in la-la land with this, but who knows?