Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

coughing cat

Napoleon

Savannah Super Cat
Hi there,
My cat Napoleon has been coughing.... at first I thought it was fur-ball related but he never actually coughs anything up, just gets low to the ground and does this coughing/wheezing noise. Will need to take him to vet but does this sound familiar to anyone?
Thanks

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
All of the cats I've ever owned have done this at one time or another. Low to the ground, neck stretched out a bit and wheezy coughing. It used to happen with my SVs frequently until I started to worm them regularly but they are on a whole prey diet so slightly more susceptible to a parasite infection. Let us know what your vet says. Hopefully it's nothing to be concerned about.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Hi there,
My cat Napoleon has been coughing.... at first I thought it was fur-ball related but he never actually coughs anything up, just gets low to the ground and does this coughing/wheezing noise. Will need to take him to vet but does this sound familiar to anyone?
Thanks

It's hard to say...Cinny was doing this and turned out to have bronchitis...so best you take Napoleon to the vet.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Paige, cats will often cough when they have an upper respiratory infection and if this is ongoing I would want it evaluated by a vet.

Tigitodwitz

Savannah Super Cat
Unfortunately that sounds all too familiar. Isabis started to do that months ago every once in a while and I didnt think it was too concerning and I didn't take her to the Dr. for it since she seemed perfect except for the cough every once in a while. One day, a while later, I came home from work and she was doing a strange breathing thing. It looked like her stomach was breathing, like her lungs were down in her stomach, and it was heavy. She was acting very attatched and lovey which isn't like her. So I freaked out nd took her to the emergency vet. They Did X-rays and reveled a quarter sized solid object floating in her tummy, too big to enter the intestines. They said the "stomach breathing" thing was because of the object. I asked them about her coughing episodes and what that could be and they couldn't give me an answer and said her airways and everything looked fine. Long story short she got surgery at my regular vet to remove the object, and my vet also said her lungs and everything looked fine and she should stop this coughing thing now that the object is gone.
Well a few weeks later she has another coughing episode. Now im frustrated. I call the vet and they can't give me a definitive answer as to what it could be. He said he doesn't think it's asthma, which I really think it is asthma or allergies, and to pretty much give her time and see what happens and that she isn't going to die. Ok so a few months later she has a mild case of the "stomach breathing" thing( that's the best way I know how to describe it) It looks like her tummy was doing sit ups. And she started throwing up white/yellow frothiness. So im thinking oh great now wth did she swallow!? So I take her to the regular vet, and he is out of town so it was his substitute vet. They do X-rays, nothing in the stomach. I think they thought I was being paranoid or something because her breathing was rapid at the vet because she is scared. They didnt find anything wrong with her! I said please there is something wrong with her I explained the breathing and coughing and told her the whole story. So she took a good look at the airways and what not and said everything looked good. I'm so very frustrated. I don't have the best memory and I don't even remember exactly what she said that day. So thy gave her a shot, I'm sorry I don't remember what is was, and her breathing was better by the next day and she stopped throwing up. So I come home from work about a week later and she is practically gasping for air, mouth open, toungue out, it was very scary. Take her in again, my vet is back in town, more X-rays show her lungs are inflamed and there is fluid. He said she could have pneumonia, bronchitis, or asthma. He was leaning towards bronchitis or pneumonia . He gave her a shot of prednisone and He gave me orbax for it and she got better for a while. He said something about prescribing her prednisone if it persisted. So a couple days ago she started coughing again and has done it a least once a day. She started throwing up the frothy substance yesterday and has done it again today. I have to wait a few more days before I can take her in again :( I really hope she has asthma or something treatable. I'm fed up with vets at this point. I don't know why it's so hard to diagnose it. She seemed to completely turn around after the prednisone shot . Maybe I should just ask for a prescription and see how she does? I really don't want to take her in again since its stressful for her and I really don't want her to have any mor X-rays . I just want her to be okay. What do ou guys think? And please please please keep us updated Napoleon!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Stephanie, have you run an upper respiratory PCR on Isabis? If you have treated her with several different antibiotics without success and the prednisone helped then it might very well be asthma. I just hate giving steroids unless I'm sure the cat isn't infected. Have you considered going to an allergist?

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
...yes, if the hairball is too large to be expelled.....and sometimes you might see small amounts of hair mixed in with the bile that was coughed up, or the hairball itself, which usually is a long, poop shaped slimy object.

It was another suggestion, along with consulting a feline allergist for your cat's coughing spells, and considering feline asthma and having an Upper Respiratory PCR test done. If your vet can't recommend an allergist, try asking your nearest veterinary college for advice.....where are you located?