Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Couple of questions

Lil Demon's Mom

Savannah Super Cat
I'm trying to figure out the best feeding schedule for Schrodinger. How do you do it?

I've been told I should keep kibble (he eats only blue buffalo) down for on demand feeding and then do some wet or even raw (which I haven't attempted raw up to this point) a some point in the day.

What is the best schedule for feeding a 4 month old?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I don't think there's any right or wrong answer, it pretty much depends on you and how much kibble vs. canned you want him to eat. As long as you have kibble out 24/7 for him to graze on he's not going to go hungry. However, if you'd rather he get more of his nutrition from canned food then you should feed him at least two or three times a day.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Best for kitten or best for you? LOL! I am sure Schrodinger would love it if you fed him a spoonful every hour or so when he felt a little like a snack...but it wouldn't be great to be doing that for him! It can depend on your schedule but I think if you leave kibble out then two or three meals a day of the canned food is fine :)

Lil Demon's Mom

Savannah Super Cat
I'm sure he would love on demand wet food! Lol. Currently he has dry down all the time and I make sure his water bowl (looking into eventually getting him a fountain) is full at all times. But I wasn't sure how much or how frequently he should get wet food. I found out that if I give him a full can of wet he will eat it so fast he pukes. :(

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I found out that if I give him a full can of wet he will eat it so fast he pukes. :(
Sounds like he likes the canned. Try giving him 1/2 can for breakfast and wait 10-15 minutes and give him the other half. When my cats are super hungry, they gobble then barf. I wait 30-60 minutes and feed them again and they eat slower. So if he really likes the canned, maybe you should skip the kibble and feed him canned 3-4 times per day. If he gets the food he likes best, he'll slow down and savor the flavor.

Atticus will be 3 mos. old tomorrow. I feed him at 6 a.m., Noon, 6 p.m. and sometimes a little snack before bed around 9-10 p.m. if he's acting hungry. He does not have kibble available between meals.