Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cranky Savannah

maryannb6843

Savannah Super Cat
My 3 yr old male Savannah does not take a catnap all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He will stay awake sometimes 10-12 hours and cry through part of the afternoon. I figured out he was tired but was too nosy to go to sleep. So now I put him in the bedroom mid afternoon, make the room dark and leave him in there for a couple of hours. After he's asleep I open the door so he can come out on his own when he's had enough sleep. After this midday nap he's good for the evening. This seems to have solved the problem. I was just curious if this was common in this breed since this is my first Savannah and this is a fairly new habit of his.

maryannb6843

Savannah Super Cat
I agree. I have a Maine Coon also and he takes regular naps. And all my other cats over the years including 2 Abby's, who were very active, took naps. Maybe I'll have the vet check him out. Thanks for your input.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Cats supposedly sleep for about 90% of their lives - I honestly believe that most Savannahs don't sleep that long, but having to enforce nap time sounds odd. When I hear that a cat is vocalizing, and especially coupled with being described as 'nosy' I usually suspect he is bored rather than tired. Have you tried the opposite - providing a dedicated play time with a wand toy or other stimulating play time?

SavannahLuv

Site Supporter
I've never had a problem with Shango not wanting to take naps. Sometimes he tries to stay awake to keep playing even though I can tell he's wore out, but eventually he gives in and will take a quick cat nap to re-energize for more playing. Other times, he can nap for hours.

The only times he's very vocal is when he wants my attention whether it's for play time or just for affection.

maryannb6843

Savannah Super Cat
Oh yes he does get dedicated play time besides he and my Maine Coon, Houdini,race around all morning. He even has a cat wheel which he will jump on independently without any coaxing.
When it first started I thought it was for attention also and ramped that up. I know cats are prone to thyroid problems so just to be safe I'm going to have my vet draw some blood to do thyroid levels. Otherwise he seems healthy. If his thyroid is normal and he wants this much attention he's going to have to learn to dig in his toy box by himself sometime because he's wearing me and Houdini out.

SavannahLuv

Site Supporter
If his thyroid is normal and he wants this much attention he's going to have to learn to dig in his toy box by himself sometime because he's wearing me and Houdini out.
You could try something like this: https://www.chewy.com/hartz-just-cats-gone-fishin-cat-toy/dp/110671 Shango LOVES his fish toy. It has a suction cup that I stick high up on a full length mirror. He'll jump and catch the fish over and over again until he gets tired or he catches and is able to hold onto the fish and starts chewing on it... which is why this is a supervised only toy. Works great though to keep him distracted if I need to take a work phone call. I also use it as a wand toy. I always have 2 new ones in a drawer for backup. Eventually the fish gets destroyed and I open a new one, but they are pretty cheap on Chewy and last at least 1 month.

maryannb6843

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for the idea and the website. Sounds like something he might like.
Definitely worth a try. I 'm also going to take him to the vet anyway to ease my mind. I will report back the results for anyone following this thread because I truly appreciate the advice given and if the situation were reversed I would want to know the results.