Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Crossing Organ Meat

John Popp

Site Supporter
This evening I have a bigger raw food project and I am a bit out of balance with organ meat and muscle meat from the same species. I have duck, rabbit, pheasant, cornish hens and of course some chicken, just heavy on the duck and rabbit organs.

Not so much concerned with shifting the duck organs around with the other fowl, just that we would be best served to use some of the rabbit organs with the meats from the fowl. I can't imagine it being too much of an issue, although in the past when I substituted turkey organs for chicken organs, I definitely had an issue with cats turning up there nose. Of course none of them like Turkey, and everything else they are fine with.

Anyway, big project labeling everything, making a portion of it KD friendly and don't want a chunk of things no one will eat. Always good notes after we start feeding, just hoping to avoid some pitfalls others have experienced.

Thanks in advance for any comments, and I still have time for an out if I'm headed down a bad path.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I'm confused...what type of muscle meat are you using and why would you want to mix rabbit organs with fowl muscle meat? Just askin' ;)

John Popp

Site Supporter
I have more rabbit organs than I currently need and they are frozen together in a single solid chunk. I also have some excess duck organs and if I were to use them with some chicken I wouldn't need to secure any additional chicken organs.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Ah, I see..I have used duck organs with chicken, but when I added rabbit to chicken, it was a bust...so maybe try a little bit first if you will be adding rabbit to chicken?

John Popp

Site Supporter
Thanks Paige!

That's exactly what I was looking for. I think I'll just make a slurry with the excess rabbit organs and then use ice cube trays so I can have something for future use. Just didn't want to add an additional round of thawing and freezing again, or even worse having food that the posse turns it's nose up at.

John Popp

Site Supporter
It's really not so bad. The only part I really don't like is putting the meat clever through bone. The rest isn't too bad and Gerty (our meat grinder) really makes quick work of things. Our cats definitely love it, especially anything special they get outside of chicken. Start to finish it only takes about an hour for 20lbs of food.

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
Isn't it kind of funny tho that these high premium pet food companies like Blue Buffalo and Wellness say that their brands don't have any animal by products in them, because it isn't good for them and REALLY that is what they eat in the wild.:lol:

John Popp

Site Supporter
I'm sure you can somewhat displace having hearts and livers in there with some supplements, although still not the same as the real deal.