Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dandruff?

D

Dantes

A rare occurrence today....Duma let me groom him! Well, sorta. I was able to run the zoom groom on him while he sat in the sun. Usually grooming him requires holding him down, so I don't do it often, but honestly he doesn't need it often. I did it this weekend because with the warm weather both boys are leaking hair all over the house. The last time I zoom groomed him was easily 2-3 weeks ago, maybe more. (I feel like a negligent mom :( )

What I noticed today was that Duma had quite a bit of dandruff. In the past, when my cats had dandruff, it was generally localized by the tail area. But Duma had it all over, and enough to make me think something might be up.

His diet is primarily commercial raw, although in the last week he has stopped eating all Primal (including Beef!) and all RadCat, where he was consistent on Turkey and Lamb (but not so much the chicken). He is still eating Feline Natural, Stella & Chewy, and Ziwi Peak. I supplement the raw with Weruva, Lotus, and Instinct canned. He gets frozen rabbit from an organic market as an occasional treat, chicken livers/gizzards/necks as a slightly more often occasional treat, and every week I cook a chicken that ends up being shared between us for a few days, so he's eating well, but it is getting harder and harder to feed him as he refuses different types of foods.

Could he be missing out on something by eating this way? If so, I can't imagine. I have some omega-3 oil that I'll (re) start adding to their food, but anytime he gets a whiff that there's something I added to the food he refuses it, and I'm hesitant to go there. I have some Mazuri and WildTrax that I've tried with them, but they're only interested in it if it's in the package, not on the food lol.

As a side note, his brother Desi (25lb ragdoll) eats the same as Duma and does not seem to have any dandruff that I've noticed. (This morning's grooming session yielded enough Desi-hair to create a 2nd 10lb flamepoint ragdoll, if anyone is interested.)

Should I be concerned? Ideas? Thoughts? Wisecracks? All are welcome :D

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I've never heard of dandruff being caused by a dietary deficiency. I think a more likely cause is the seasonal changes, or possibly even hormonal changes as he ages. If you're concerned with it you might want to ask your vet about it.

What is a zoom groom??

D

Dantes

Thanks, Patti--good to know. I hate running off to the vet for no good reason because the vet I like is super expensive. I'll give him some time to see if it is seasonal. He's also just over 2 years so I'd agree with you that there could be a hormonal component as well.

When my DSH had terrible dandruff, the vet told me it was related to her diet, but this was many years ago, and I no longer trust any nutritional advice from vets who encourage kibble feeding. I think I also read somewhere (and this was some time ago), that dandruff could signal omega-3 deficiency.

What is a zoom groom??

Zoom Groom

Last edited by a moderator:

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
Yes try omega 3 fish oils. It should defiantly help. The question I have is your fish oil in capsule? Fish oil can go rancid really quickly in loose bottle and not smell good. I would try squeeze 1 capsule per day on food. If he doesn't like salmon oil you can try krill oil, smaller capsules and will do the sane thing.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Another trick I've heard is to use Flax seed oil...it doesn't expire quickly like fish oil

admin

Paige
Staff member
I agree with all who recommended Omegas...I use Udos 3-6-9 because it covers all the essential fatty acids...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Oh yes, I meant to add that the omega 3s are definitely a good idea.
Glad to know the zoom groom is just a brushing tool - I was imagining all sorts of crazy things... ;)

D

Dantes

Awesome ideas, thanks!

The omega-3 I have for them is Wysong EFA with Fish Oil. Yeah, maybe time to buy new, it might be a bit old. It smells like anchovies to me lol I just figured that since most of the raw I buy has salmon in it I didn't need to add it, but maybe he just needs a booster. I also have norwegian fish oil capsules (nordic naturals) that I use for myself, I'm sure that would work too.

Now wondering if fish oil should be refrigerated? hmmmm it doesn't say on the bottle.

Wondering what crazy things those can be? hehe, the zoom groom has been known to drive a cat a bit crazy :D

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I know that refrigerating or freezing fish oil capsules will decrease the fishy breath humans can get when consuming them, not sure if there is any other benefit to keeping it cool though...

cbain

Site Supporter
I use omega 3 fish oil, my doctor says 4- 1000 mg caps a day, what would the daily dose be for a cat ?