Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daytona's New Room

Daytona Says What?!

Savannah Super Cat
I think we're all prepped up and ready to go. Blinds taken off; no cords. Toilet seat child proof thingy. Child proof cabinet doors.

Biggest cat tree that I could fit in my car. Tons of toys. Radio for when I'm gone (which won't be much as I work from home now). Spoiled rotten.

The glass door to enter the room: should I put something up over the glass (like blinds, or just construction paper) so that the room is "private?" At least at first? From what I understand, it's very important that Daytona gets "quarantined" to this room, in part so that he establishes it as "his" and becomes comfortable in his new home. And also that I am the only person he spends time with and sees for the first 10-14 days. The glass door looks right to the front door, so if not covered, Daytona may see people coming and going (if I have a guest) which may disturb him. What do you think?

On that note, how soon should I start bringing him out of his room?

*JB

Attachments

• 20151001_171217.jpg
    20151001_171217.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 27
  • 20151001_171225.jpg
    20151001_171225.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 27
  • 20151001_171156.jpg
    20151001_171156.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 26

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Looks good. Some cats don't like covered boxes so if you have issues with him going outside the box, the first thing to do would be to remove the top. I don't think it's necessary to cover the glass door. Check his reactions to being able to see out and if appears he's unreasonably upset, then you can cover it.

Daytona Says What?!

Savannah Super Cat
Looks good. Some cats don't like covered boxes so if you have issues with him going outside the box, the first thing to do would be to remove the top. I don't think it's necessary to cover the glass door. Check his reactions to being able to see out and if appears he's unreasonably upset, then you can cover it.

Thanks. Yeah, I was thinking about whether or not to go covered box. I understand that cats can be fickle about that, and he's not using one now, but I thought maybe I could "sneak it in" as part of his transition to my place. Should I just stick with the regular box at first, instead? Then try to change over? I know that he will already be dealing with a lot of anxiety and trauma from leaving his current home. Maybe best to keep as much similar as possible?

Ultimately, I'd like one of those fancy automatic ones -- if Daytona will take to it.

Daytona Says What?!

Savannah Super Cat
Room looks great! I would cover the glass door, but that is just me...

Thank you! Was my old home office room, which I've transitioned to one of the extra bed rooms upstairs.

Yeah, I think I'll put up some construction paper on the glass. It's just me living there, but I do have friends and guests over, so he'd potentially see people through the door.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I would probably start with the glass covered and see how he responds to HEARING guests coming and going. If he shows interest and curiosity you can probably take the cover off, but if he shows any anxiety or fear I would leave it in place.

As far as letting him out of the room, you can play that by ear. He may decide for you, if he turns out to be a door darter...

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Hina

Site Supporter
This is so exciting - preparing for the new fur-baby !! When does Daytona come home?