Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

De-wormer of choice

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
It's getting to be about that time to deworm my Loki bear and pooty tang. Loki seems to be constipated as of late and vomited as well tonight and once last night. I am wondering if worms may have something to do with it? I am making an appointment to see the vet on Monday if the problem persists. He has shown allergy to a certain kibble pooty had been eating when I had gotten him. Loki was stealing pootys food. But pooty also showed symptoms of allergy as well. And I stopped giving it to him. The problem stopped. But now nothing has changed in the past 2 months and he threw up last night once and tonight once. I would prefer to not pay the vet markup on perscription dewormer. And would prefer to buy my own. This is the first time since June we have two incomes and I am catching up on everything. I want the best for my babies but I also have to do it within a reasonable budget. Pooty is getting his snip this month as well. And I want him to be heathy as a horse before he gets neutered. Any advice? I'm sort of at a loss here

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat

Also here's an update on tweedle dee and tweedle dum being cute

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I always use Panacur (fenbendazole), it's inexpensive, over the counter, and treats roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, and certain tapeworms usually in a single dose, although some recommend three consecutive days. In addition, if used for five consecutive days will also treat giardia.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you! I spoke to the breeder and she recomended that as well. Also mentioned drontal. Rasputin is showing signs of a bloated belly so we both agree a deworming is in order. Any recommendations of websites to order from? Speedy and affordable? I'm willing to pay for overnight shipping just to get this over with. Also goodnews with loki's vomiting. Hairball again. Ugh. But at least now I know what the cause was. There wasn't any hair at all, but today there were two good ones with hair. And he's acting normal again. I gave him Metamucil and acidophilus with cooked chicken. And he wolfed it down

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I think treating for giardia just in case wouldn't be a bad thing I'll treat them both. Also anything I need to do in particular around the house. Disinfect the litterboxes?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I purchase mine locally at a feed and tack store. If you don't have anything like that nearby I would just net surf a bit to find the best price (with shipping). I usually treat the cats, sterilize the litter boxes with bleach three days later, then retreat and resterilize two weeks later.

Have you had your vet look at Rasputin's bloated belly?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
As Patti says, spend a little time with Google price shopping, but if you have something like a feed store near you that is probably a very good option.

I generally bleach the litterboxes here weekly between changes of litter. If you worm them with panacur then I'd make sure that I did that like Patti suggests, three days after treating and then again later on.

Amazon has it too, under fenbendazole, there is a goat formulation that is 100mg/ml, and comes in 125cc bottles. A 10 lb cat should get a 1 cc dose, for 3 days and then repeat in a week or 10 days or so.
Dosage and administration

Routine treatment of adult cats and dogs:1ml per 1kg bodyweight as a single oral dose.

(= 100mg fenbendazole/kg bodyweight). or for every 2.2 lbs.

Practical dosage recommendations:

2.2 lb- 1cc

4.4 lb- 2 cc

8.8 lb- 3 cc

11lb- 4cc

13.2lb- 5cc , etc.