Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Declawing

Eugena

Savannah Super Cat
Why do some breeders allow declawing of their fur babies? I'm trying really hard to understand it.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I believe some breeders look at breeding as a business and are more interested in the sale and less interested in what happens to the kitten/cat once it leaves their cattery. Other breeders believe that once the kitten/cat has gone to its new home they have no more influence or say in whatever decisions are made regarding its care and upkeep. I suppose there may actually be breeders somewhere out there as well who actually don't think there is anything wrong with amputating all the toes off a cat... :(

Eugena

Savannah Super Cat
Yeah, I'm 100% against declawing. I put it in my contract that I don't allow it. I'm just baffled at how some breeders claim to be ethical yet, I go to view their website and it says something like this, "Most vets will recommend a spay/neuter and declaw at the same time, if that is your choice."

Eugena

Savannah Super Cat
cbain, mind if I use that poster explaining why declawing is bad? I would love to make use of it as well.

cbain

Site Supporter
cbain, mind if I use that poster explaining why declawing is bad? I would love to make use of it as well.
Please use the poster to show people the bad effects of declawing ,we NEVER declaw but our F3 male is hard to trim and he spends a lot of time outdoors so we have our Vet or her Vet techs do it, Cody just got a trim from his favorite Vet tech
DSCN1397.JPG

Eugena

Savannah Super Cat
I saw someone post a pic of their furr baby wearing nail clips. They were really colorful and they claim it's a great alternative. Know anything about those?

Renee

Savannah Super Cat
Cody is very pretty!

Nail clips? Do you mean soft paws? I've put these on both my ragdoll and crazy Loki. They stay on the ragdoll for weeks, but Loki rips them off within 24 hours.

Eugena

Savannah Super Cat
Yes, soft paws. Sorry, wasn't sure what they were called :) I just have lots of cat trees and wood for them to scratch and they've been pretty good at not scratching our furniture.

Renee

Savannah Super Cat
Lol, just checking! Yes, I've put these on Loki twice. Each time he runs under the dining table until he can rip them off.

I make sure to restrict him while they dry as well, not worth the $$ for Loki. I just trim both of the boy's nails weekly.