Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Designing with a kitty (or multiple!) in mind

NikkiA

Site Supporter
So obviously you all know Mike and me are nuts already. We are planning to begin work on our basement this summer, and I want to incorporate cat friendly design.

Here is what I have in mind so far.

There will be a cat walk around the basement, with lounging shelves by each of the windows, and a set of shelving "stairs" for the boys, maybe two. There will be a large cat tree, likely bolted to the wall. There will be another litterbox going down there , likely another litter robot, and another cat fountain.

The space will be used by us too, but much less than they will use it I think. We are going to stain the concrete (we have a big fish tank and Mike makes a habit of flooding the basement so no carpet down there), put up dry wall, install a ceiling, and add to the existing electrical outlets. Add very small wet bar/wine counter, sink, mini fridge, & dishwasher and some more stable wine racks as we are going to keep storing a small amt of wine down there, and I've seen some pretty neat wine racks that kitties like to climb in a friends' home. I'll add area rugs for SV traction, and maybe a cat wheel. Lots of shelves and cabinets for storage for me and play for them.

What have you guys done that your cats have really loved?

What do you suggest?

I've got some ideas from Pinterest, but is love to see any photos you guys have too!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Make sure there are at least 2 ways for them to get down from the catwalk to alleviate problems when they are chasing each other or when one of them tries to block another.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
This sounds like a great plan Nikki! You might want to consider adding a couple of sisal covered climbing poles near the catwalk, and maybe some hammocks hung between shelves. Also, you mentioned windows - not sure where they are located in relationship to the ground outside, but you might want to consider putting a bird feeder outside the window(s), or even consider attaching an outdoor enclosure and install a doggy (kitty) door in the window for them to go in and out through.

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
Dry wall....flooding, doesn't go well together. But I'm sure you're aware most SVs love water! Great ideas! The only thing I don't see is a tunnel; Eddie loves tunnels!

cmantis

Savannah Super Cat
You can use green board instead of dry wall. Also you should upgrade the tank a 300DD would be great! Ill ship you all the corals you could need. Just say its for the cats;)

MM3

Site Supporter
Oh good a diversion for me, from my stressful past few days....(.I know this isn't the thread, but thanks again everyone for your concern and well wishes for kitty)
I've been wanting to share kitty's walk about cat walk that is from back door to front door. & Custom stairs. Having difficulty posting videos. Was informed to create a uTube something. Post to that then link to that....OH MY! Ok my grandson is on spring break, and Christian will set up what I am needing. I have a new Sunoco HD 1080 P that I will be learning how to video. Also working on a custom climbing tree 7 ft tall. Not done yet and kitty is already climbing it, she L-O-V-E-S it! It is perfectly balanced so when she springs off of it it swayes until it stops. Doesn't fall over. Hopefully soon can share, because I'll know how!
What a fun project for you! Especially when sky is the limit. I've been told I go over board and I say .....SO!
Have fun with your creations, that's the most important part!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Reposting my cats playroom. I used rope covered pvc pipe for the climbing pole. Bought cheap carpet at Home Depot for the shelves and cat walk and stuck it down with velcro strips. Easy to clean and easy to replace.

Used Anthony Morgan's recipe for the floating shelves

MM3

Site Supporter
Reposting my cats playroom. I used rope covered pvc pipe for the climbing pole. Bought cheap carpet at Home Depot for the shelves and cat walk and stuck it down with velcro strips. Easy to clean and easy to replace.

Used Anthony Morgan's recipe for the floating shelves
Fantastic videos! I noticed that you post from YouTube ...I'll be learning how in the next couple of days.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
You can use green board instead of dry wall. Also you should upgrade the tank a 300DD would be great! Ill ship you all the corals you could need. Just say its for the cats;)
LOL I have an ELOS 160XL in the living room with a custom stand :)
Sump is 150g acrylic.
80g frag tank, 60g holding tank with separate UV (currently holding a young lightening maroon and her boyfriend), all plumed together, fish room in the basement with display in living room. We did use green board there, and will use it for the rest of the basement too I imagine. Mike keeps overflowing the ATO tank of all things.
I don't know that I would need you to ship me corals- I'm in NJ, 45 min from NYC. Could potentially come pick them up :)