Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

destroying my house!

chris07

Savannah Adult
hi, Can anybody tell at what ages my 2 Savannah will stop destroying my furniture my carpet any objet that can be move plant and to this day the only think that is still intact are some picture on the wall.

They are now about 9 month old. and my house is now empty we had to but away almost everything that we could save.

Thanks

chris

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
They stay quite playful throughout their lives, but they may slow down in intensity starting at about a year. No guarantee though. Do you have plenty of toys, cat trees, cat shelves for them to play on? Do you spend time playing with them as much as possible? If you don't have one, an outdoor enclosure, even if it's a screened-in patio or balcony will enrich their environment and help get rid of some of that energy.

chris07

Savannah Adult
They stay quite playful throughout their lives, but they may slow down in intensity starting at about a year. No guarantee though. Do you have plenty of toys, cat trees, cat shelves for them to play on? Do you spend time playing with them as much as possible? If you don't have one, an outdoor enclosure, even if it's a screened-in patio or balcony will enrich their environment and help get rid of some of that energy.
hi,

i spend about 2 hours everyday playing with each one, they have a lot of toys, Little house with 4 tunnel ,
i also take them out for a walk everyday they also play a lot we each other and run in the house like if they where horse.... when the winter here will be over we will take longer walk and maybe they will slow them down a little bit, i wanted to have active cat but not have to refurnish the house ... They really eat almost everything

Thanks for your advice

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Hi Chris,

We are lucky enough to share our lives with three boys, an F3, an F4, and an F5. F3 Jarvis turns 3 this month, f4 Mickey turns 3 this summer, and f5 diablo turns four this summer.

They are very playful but not intentionally destructive.

They love their cat trees and shelves, they love their toys, and they love us.

They have scratched up our couch and one chair, but the rest of the furniture is intact. We've lost a wine glass or two, and a few decorations, but really not much considering my love of crystal. They do destroy linens, but because they all have their claws and are playing on top, not because they mean to.

chris07

Savannah Adult
Hi Chris,

We are lucky enough to share our lives with three boys, an F3, an F4, and an F5. F3 Jarvis turns 3 this month, f4 Mickey turns 3 this summer, and f5 diablo turns four this summer.

They are very playful but not intentionally destructive.

They love their cat trees and shelves, they love their toys, and they love us.

They have scratched up our couch and one chair, but the rest of the furniture is intact. We've lost a wine glass or two, and a few decorations, but really not much considering my love of crystal. They do destroy linens, but because they all have their claws and are playing on top, not because they mean to.

They are not mean but my female f3 started that and my male f2 is just following her and like your they have
there claws, and they are damaging the furniture when they are running and jumping .

But like you said we are Lucky to have them.

thanks Nikki

Patti

Admin
Staff member
What exactly do you mean by 'destroying'? Are they scratching the furniture and carpet? Or doing something else? If it is just a matter of scratching the obvious answer is to get more scratch pads and put them near their favorite scratching areas. There is something called Sticky Paws and also furniture guards you can purchase to help discourage your cats from scratching on furniture and other inappropriate places.

chris07

Savannah Adult
What exactly do you mean by 'destroying'? Are they scratching the furniture and carpet? Or doing something else? If it is just a matter of scratching the obvious answer is to get more scratch pads and put them near their favorite scratching areas. There is something called Sticky Paws and also furniture guards you can purchase to help discourage your cats from scratching on furniture and other inappropriate places.
Hi Patti

They are eating corners of all the table they also have a taste for leather they when true 2 chairs,we have to leave the bathroom door close because they will destroy and type of close. A Week ago i bought them a system of 4 tunnel connected and 2 are already finish. They also have a 6 foots tree house and all the material is gone,they also have post for them to scratch well this is the second one in the last 4 month...

And yes they have food available all day.

So hopefully they will grow up one day soon.

Thanks for your reply

Chris

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Chris, my son has a F3 male who was somewhat "destructive" as a kitten and young adult. He would knock anything off a table, counter, shelf, or anything above the floor. He really was fascinated by gravity. He would scratch a lot of objects. He would chase the other cat relentlessly. My son was ready to rehome him. The cat was put on Prozac (fluoxetine) which helped.
First, remove and put away anything of value. Second, as mentioned above, get a lot of scratching posts. Third, keep playing with the cat. The mental stimulation is what the cat is craving.
And now for the good news. The cat is now 5 years old. Off Prozac. Still proving gravity by knocking things to the floor. But is a very nice cat. The cat has become personable and no longer a problem.

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
My cats broke a plate last week. Yup, gravity still works in my house.

I feel lucky when it comes to scratching. I have a couple of good scratching posts for them and will provide cardboard boxes for scratching sometimes. I also spent a good amount of time redirecting their scratching behavior from furniture to the posts and now they rarely scratch anything that isn't permitted.

They also will occasionally topple things that aren't as stable as they could be - repeatedly - until I get the hint to secure the item(s). :big grin: