Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Developed taste for reduced protein raw

John Popp

Site Supporter
Both our 3 month and 15 month old cats have developed a taste for the reduced calorie raw we feed to our older cats. Same raw recipe, just the reduced protein food has about 10-15% of a 50/50 pumpkin/butter mix added in.

The older of the two, Chongo, will eat a lot more of the RP food than he will of his normal raw. In fact he has given up clamoring for kibble in his puzzle feeder. The little guy, Monte, gives me a little more concern about the reduced protein while at the same time probably missing the higher fat content of mother's milk.

I'm sure the butter is what makes it appealing, and they aren't bothered by the small amounts of pumpkin. My concern is that I don't want to remove any of the protein they need while still growing. At the same time not real fond of needing to police dish diving if they don't get it.

Any words of advice are appreciated.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Both our 3 month and 15 month old cats have developed a taste for the reduced calorie raw we feed to our older cats. Same raw recipe, just the reduced protein food has about 10-15% of a 50/50 pumpkin/butter mix added in.

The older of the two, Chongo, will eat a lot more of the RP food than he will of his normal raw. In fact he has given up clamoring for kibble in his puzzle feeder. The little guy, Monte, gives me a little more concern about the reduced protein while at the same time probably missing the higher fat content of mother's milk.

I'm sure the butter is what makes it appealing, and they aren't bothered by the small amounts of pumpkin. My concern is that I don't want to remove any of the protein they need while still growing. At the same time not real fond of needing to police dish diving if they don't get it.

Any words of advice are appreciated.

John, are you using butter in their recipe?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
What is the purpose of the pumpkin butter? Can you add it to the regular raw so that it is more appealing to Chongo and Monte?

John Popp

Site Supporter
The pumpkin/butter is really just to keep the older cats regular, reduces stress on the kidneys and is easily digestible. I started it a while back when our oldest boy Kebu had some labs which indicated his kidneys were failing. Found a raw KD diet and then just worked it until I found the happy place that they'll actually eat it. From there I have been slowly bumping up the pumpkin/butter mix.

Kebu posts better labs now although I am sure his kidneys aren't any better and our older girl eats the same food. Both are over 15 years of age, healthy for seniors and fairly active. just want to make sure there isn't a reason why I need to keep it away from the youngsters.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Just want to clarify one thing, I am not directly feeding this food to the young boys, it's what they choose to chow on while I am getting the meals ready for the pride in it's entirety. Chongo and Monte however will probably chomp down an ounce or two before I physically need to remove them and place them in front of their bowl. Then I top off the Seniors bowls, who if they don't eat it all must have an open invitation for Monte and Chongo to finish it up.

Also found the article and basis for what I am doing, although it took some experimentation to hone a recipe the older cats would eat. Not all that varied from Dr Pierson's recipe, although she states that for a cat having renal issues there is need for a nutritionist. In our case, we aren't really there yet, just a maintenance diet because we know that day is right around the corner for our seniors.

http://tcfeline.com/2012/04/27/reduced-protein-cat-food/

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
John...the pumpkin butter is not going to harm the SVs. The reduced protein of the elder cats' diet won't be an issue if you let the SVs eat as much as they want. Your choices are mixing some elder cats' food into the SVs; feed the SVs the same recipe as the elder cats; or feed the SVs in a separate room from the elders so they don't have access to their food.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Thanks Deborah! Feeding is already difficult here and the 4 cats get fed in 3 different places. I can manage things pretty well, just can't really keep them from dish diving while feeding one cat to the next. A couple child gates that are in play (not for the SVs) present some obstacles but as long as there isn't an inherent reason to keep the young fellas away from the RP food, I'm all good.

Thanks again!