Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Diarrhea and Peeing issues

Aaron

Savannah Super Cat
So Coco has Diarrhea (started changing his diet slowly and it started so I changed him back to his breeders food immediately to no avail). I started him on Fortiflora 2 days ago and still no change. Hoping he comes around in the next day or so... on top of that, he started peeing on clothes that were on the floor in his quarantine room.

His first few days he was peeing and pooing in the litter box without issue... now diarrhea in the litter box and pee on piles of clothes and the curtains... I emailed the breeder for advice. But HELP...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
He's been to the vet to check for UTI, parasites, other illness? It can take a long time for their tummies to get back to normal. It's usually best to put them on a bland diet for a couple of days. Cook some bone-in chicken thighs in water and then discard the bones. Add the chicken and stock to plain cooked white rice. Feed that for no longer than 5 days and add the Fortiflora or another probiotic to the food. This one has been frequently mentioned by our member breeders http://www.amazon.com/Bomac-Vets-Plus-683008-PROBIOS-POWDER-CHR404/dp/B001BM1QRC

Sometimes when a cat is sick, it associates the diarrhea with the litter box and refuses to use it for awhile. I hope some of the breeders respond to you because I can't remember what they're recommendations were to others who have had similar issues.

Maybe move the box to another location and add a sprinkling of a different kind of litter on top of the regular litter so it seems new and breaks the association with the diarrhea.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
You might also want to buy some Anti Icky Poo (available only on-line) and wash curtains and clothes in it to remove all traces of cat urine. They can smell things we can't so even if you've washed the stuff in regular detergent, Coco can probably still smell urine on them.

Aaron

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks Witchy!! I saw a thread that mentioned a cat attract litter or something... would that be advisable? Again first few days were fine then when the diarrhea started he stopped peeing in the litter box. He was dewormed and checked out at his second vaccination by breeders vet, then rechecked by my vet when I brought him home. This is a change in stool consistency and litter behaviour from the first few days I brought him home... argh

Aaron

Savannah Super Cat
I think I may get another litter box and maybe put it in the area he was peeing... maybe he'll use that to pee and the other to poo? Seen that on a thread too I think..

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
You can try Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract. You don't have to fill the box with it. You can just add a thin layer over the regular litter. You don't want to risk an abrupt litter change which can upset him further. Adding another litter box may solve the problem. If he's upset by the diarrhea he may not want to pee in the same box. Poor baby.

Aaron some parasites don't show up in every fecal exam and symptoms of illnesses can take quite a while to show. Giardia cysts for example, aren't passed in every poop so a cat can show symptoms and the fecal will be negative. It's possible that the diarrhea is in response to the new food you're introducing but you can't test that until he gets back to normal. The only way to know if it's the food is to stop feeding it to him. Get him eating something else for awhile and then slowly reintroduce the original food.

It's also possible that the stress of going to a new home is catching up with him. If he's not better by Monday or if the diarrhea continues/gets worse AND he's not eating and drinking enough, I'd get him to the vet ASAP. They can dehydrate very quickly.

Sending healing thoughts to Coco. Hugs to you.

Aaron

Savannah Super Cat
Just peed all over my daughters bed. My wife is flipping out as she was hesitant to get a Savannah in the first place... talk about stressed out. I got a second litter box so hopefully that helps in the interim. Sigh!... oh he's been back to his original food for the past 3 days (100 percent breeder food). I only just started to change him over to a new food so the switch back to his original food shouldn't of been a shock to his system.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Aaron, this has nothing to do with your baby being a savannah...he sounds sick or stressed as WW has said...try just giving some boiled chicken for a day or two...let the kitten's gut rest...and you really need to call your vet...take in a stool sample..be sure to make sure your kitten is drinking enough water as well...