Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

diarrhea

Wesley

Savannah Super Cat
One of our kittens has had diarrhea since we got him. He just always has very runny stool and goes very often. That isn't the only problem though...He gets it everywhere :(. His litter box is a constant mess with poo splattered everywhere, he flings it onto the wall where the litter box is located when he covers up which he doesn't do all the time. The smell is also incredibly powerful. To top it off last he decided to go in the corner of the bathroom. It looks like he was going there all night because it is a large pool of it(thankfully it was in the bathroom and not on carpet). He also rarely cleans himself so where ever he first sits which is usually out microsuede couch he leaves little streak marks.

He goes to the vet for a check up once a week and they have given us 2 types of liquid medicine to try and a weeks worth of special wet/dry food with fiber treats. It took about a week or so to finally figure out a technique to giving him the liquid which he hates but there has been no improvement at all. He has had his stool checked and it came back clean.

Any advice on this? The vets closed today so we will be going first thing tomorrow. In the mean time, I have some kitten poop to clean up.

I can't help with most of this, sorry, but I can say I use 90 qt storage containers for cat boxes. I didn't cut the sides as the cats can easily jump over the 18" high sides. This should protect your walls, and save you a little cleaning. :)

Wesley

Savannah Super Cat
I wish it were that easy. The litter box we have iss about 7" or so deep with a cut out area for them to get in in the front. He is flinging stuff about 2' up the wall. I'm actually rather impressed lol

Wesley

Savannah Super Cat
I'm not 100% sure on the tests the vet has done, all I know of is she took a stool sample and checked it which came up clear. We started with science diet wet twice a day for 2 weeks when we first took him in. The doctor advised us to try switching foods so we went to Evo wet twice a day and dry for grazing which both out kittens love (just not the chicken). After it kept on we went on the perscribed food from the vet for a week.

Nitro

and his servant, Paul
I think the normal stool checks cover both of those protozoans.

Have you tried adding raw pumpkin to his diet? I have a pair of 5-year-old Bengals that had similar issues from the moment I got them home; they now (partially) subsist off a diet of pumpkin. Thankfully, my mom does me a huge favor in keeping an eye out for sales on pumpkin.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I would start out by asking the vet what she checked for....she may need to do a PCR...and you may want to start giving boiled chicken and broth to your kitten....

Also do a search on diarrhea at the top of the forum and you will come up with a lot of helpful posts...you should also see our thread on TriTrich.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I think the normal stool checks cover both of those protozoans.

Have you tried adding raw pumpkin to his diet? I have a pair of 5-year-old Bengals that had similar issues from the moment I got them home; they now (partially) subsist off a diet of pumpkin. Thankfully, my mom does me a huge favor in keeping an eye out for sales on pumpkin.
The pumpkin is also a good idea...but having a PCR done and checking for TriTrich is the one thing most vets don't do...and it is one of those parasitic infections that is difficult to get rid of on its own...and think of the poor kitties who are losing valuable fluid and electrolytes fro all the diarrhea :(