Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Different ways to give pills?

Hericane

Spencer
Hello

Spencer ate some treats the other day that apparently he is allergic to. So took to the vet an all that stuff and they gave him a Benadryl shot and told me to give him some Benadryl at home.

He is already doing better which is great, however the fun part is for us to try and give him the pill! He is very strong and agile as any savannah would be so the traditional ways have not worked. I have resorted to crushing it up in some butter and managed to get it on his lips then as he escapes I have just rubbed it on his front legs as his neck is moving way to fast to even see his lips anymore. I have seen him cleaning after and he must be getting some of the stuff that we got on his fur because he is makin some awful faces as it tastes bad.

Any advice on administering pills to a savannah?

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
Kovu has taken pills like a champ.

Sarabi, a DSH we used to foster, not so much. It was to the point that we had to go back to the vet and get a liquid because there was just NO WAY she was going to take that pill. She was too strong for me to hold her & force it down, she hated pill pockets, she knew instantly if I even put a tiny bit in her food. Oh it was terrible & she was in so much pain. :/ Can you give liquid form of Benadryl instead?

Hericane

Spencer
Yeah we tried food, dipping in butter and put it in sardines. He can taste it or spits it out every time.

You can get a liquid Benadryl but the vet recommended the pills because the liquid has a bad taste. Now I will get the liquid if I can't find a good way to get this done with the pills...

In the meantime, are there any clever ideas out there on administering pills?

Cathouse1

Site Supporter
We started using the pill poppers, just a hand-held pill holder that makes it easier to get in their throat. Much more effective than a finger and my fingers don't bleed anywhere near as much, lol.

Cathouse1

Site Supporter
We started using the pill poppers, just a hand-held pill holder that makes it easier to get in their throat. Much more effective than a finger and my fingers don't bleed anywhere near as much, lol.

Julie

Savannah Super Cat
Tuna, salmon, strong smelling fish, that was what I ended up buying. And I don't mean cat food I mean fresh wild caught fish. Not flounder or mild fish as I swear they can still taste/smell the meds lol

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I use either the pill popper or the pill pockets. The pockets work better for 2 of the cats. They're soft treats that you can stuff the pill in and close around the pill. But maybe he'll be allergic to those. For Maliik, who has a nose that can smell subatomic particles, I stuff the pills down the throat of his quail and make sure he's good and hungry before I feed him. He gobbles the head & neck first and doesn't realize there's meds in there, or if he does know it, he's too hungry to care.

T

tkymasters

Pill stuffed inside a small piece of fish fillet. He is a Hoover when it comes to fish. No chewing AT ALL!

Wild Tafari

Savannah Super Cat
Have you thought to ask your vet if it would be okay for you to crush/grind the pill into a powder? We have multiple ways to give meds, with one method being to grind it into a powder and mix into a couple of bites of their favorite canned food. It goes completely unnoticed. Pill grinders are cheap and can be found most anywhere including Wal-Mart in the pharmacy department. Another way is by pill popper for the more stubborn. ;) Good luck to you!