Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digging at carpet at doors that need to remain closed

Sunny

Loyal Servant
Isis was able to escape Sun night/Mon morning into the backyard for about an hour (2nd escape this month from carelessness). In addition to bringing back fleas, I have closed the glass sliding door and my roommates bedroom door while he is away for days at a time.

This pic is a result of what I found this morning, once was a fluke, this is in danger of now turning into a habit from boredom. The white tuft you see of carpet backing was actually created by the cat of the previous tenant who didn't discipline or entertain their feline.

Isis has two other cats, loads of toys, but she wants out and also wants into my brother's room. Also, I caught her doing this last night in the upstairs in front of the balcony screen door where I promptly verbally scolded her (I also threw a toy at her). This is my first naughty SV experience, she's 11 months old and the last 5 months with her have been pretty unremarkable and great.

I don't know how to curb this behavior aside from stacking something there or working from home downstairs via couch to wait and discipline her. I am gone for up to 10 hours a day and I come home for lunch for them and for me for half hour.

I am open to suggestions for other ways to stop her from doing this pronto. My own place will have tile, I just can't stand the thought of owning property in California. My sights are aimed at a colder climate with Colorado leading the pack in a few years.

Thanks in advance for responses and thoughts.

Attachments

• Photo Jul 18, 6 08 45 PM copy.jpg
    Photo Jul 18, 6 08 45 PM copy.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 42

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
First off....is Isis spayed? If she is not, she will always attempt and most likely succeed in her escape attempts until she is spayed and her hormones have subsided. I trust she is microchipped in the event she escapes?

Second, do you take her outside, either on a leash and walking jacket, or allow her to hang around the yard outside with you? If you do that, and take her out those two doors, she has learned there is a great wide, really exciting universe out there and will continue to try to get out. If Isis goes out for walks or in the yard with you, start carrying her outside only in a carrier, and carry it backward and covered lightly so she can't see which door you use. You can also try scat mats that emit a small electrical charge. Some cats are not affected by these however, but worth a try. Some people use a spray bottle with vinegar added to the water to deter cats from the doors, and you can also have a friend stand outside with a leaf blower to startle her from stepping outside.

Can you make an outdoor enclosure for her? There are lots of great ideas on the forum here for those, and can be made or bought quite reasonably, if you use second hand materials. Many people use outdoor dog kennels, but they do have to have an escape proof top of course. You can also add a cat window...they seem to be reasonably priced, and I have seen them on Ebay. Try to make her indoors more exciting for her with some new toys, a new cat tree placed in front of the windows, or maybe an aquarium or a few bird feeders outside. You can also try playing a video while you are gone made for cats that show birds, fish, small animals etc. If your budget allows, you might consider hiring someone to come play with your cats when you are gone, although you would have to trust they will not let Isis out!

You might have to put something in front of the doors to stop her digging, perhaps a few large outdoor ceramic tiles that she cannot dig up (and you won't glue down of course), or some other object.

Hopefully others here will have more suggestions....good luck!

Sunny

Loyal Servant
Yes, spayed. Microchipped as well.

I can't take her outside, unfortunately. The concentration of pests out here is fierce, it's not recommended. I can walk from the store 1500ft to home and get bit by fleas, it's just an area problem. (Santa Barbara by the ocean, on a hill)

I'm not going to treat her with the outside, as it's a problem taking one out at a time with the males I stopped doing it. I'd love an outdoor enclosure but it would have to be laden with pesticides because the flea problem took about 6 months to eradicate and it only crops up once every 4-6 weeks and quickly squashed. Any outdoor time would make it unlivable depending on your tolerance for bites...

They have a huge furniture run along the walls, window perches, three cat trees between upstairs and down, with about $500 in assorted small toys. It's definitely from lack of stimulant (me) and learning that outside is FUN!

Heavy objects look to be the best course and after a few weeks, remove and see if the itch is still there so to speak. :)

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
You can also try moving the cat trees around to a different location....when I do that, the way my cats seem all excited about the "new trees mom got for us" is hilarious ;)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Blocking the area, placing a scat mat there, or a sssscat can of compressed air with motion sensor might deter her.

Sunny

Loyal Servant
Holy s__t I just went downstairs and it was 5 times worse. I blocked it off now and hopefully, she will get the clue.

Sunny

Loyal Servant
Patti, the can and motion sensor would be a dream. That might do it. Found it on Amazon and adding that to cart!

Sunny

Loyal Servant
I have to be up at 5am now I am f'ing pissed she was tearing at the wood and boxes blocking. I threw a bean filled wrist rest at her and she is hiding. What the f cat??

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
I starting to think something is there. She saw a mouse or another creature she wants a piece of. This kind of determination appears to have an objective. I am wondering if she saw something outside and thinks it went under the house. Rascal goes nuts when he sees a chipmunk at the door sill.