Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Do Savannahs go thru the terrible twos?

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Rafiki is now 13 months and seems to be especially bratty as of late. We had switched our TP so that the sheets go under instead of over but this week she discovered that she can rapidly unroll them if she stands on the counter. She then throws mounds of it into the toilet so that she can fish soggy TP out later. She is also drowning her toys in the toilet. And yes, we are tying to make sure we keep the lid down or the door shut but training humans is slow. She is also crazy full of energy lately and bouncing off the walls. Is this simply bored SV behavior (I was away on business 2 weeks ago and worked a lot of OT this week)? Or is this a phase she is going thru?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Sounds like you have a combination of the Terrible Twos and the Rites of Spring. Longer days, change of seasons in general have contributed to increased activity at my house.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Same here. After our very long and frigid Michigan winter, our cats are bouncing off the walls, too. I can't wait until it is warm enough for them to go onto the outdoor enclosed kitty porches. A few have ventured out (they cry and beg at the doors), but it is still too cold for them most days. Believe me, I've thought of outfitting them in doggy parkas and little snow boots so they can stay out longer than five minutes. And like toddlers, it's in and out, in and out....

Be forewarned that some Savannahs never seem to outgrow the Terrible Twos...bratty toddlers even as adults can be the norm for some cats....

Rafiki

Site Supporter
We live in Southern California and we have had a very warm winter so I can't blame it on the weather but the longer days could be a factor. We just spent at least 2 hours outside walking the hillside and that seemed to help. She was standing up on her hind legs for cuddles and giving me head butts so that was good. Now that we are back inside, she is biting her horizontal scratchpad and biting off large chunks. Sigh. Looks like the little monster within is coming back out again....

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Yup, Queen of Crazy is over here too. I got her to the pet store today so hopefully that will relieve some of her energy

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Looks like the little monster within is coming back out again....
They are so similar to kids when maturing. She will begin to push boundaries and try to assert herself as top cat over the humans. She'll definitely test your patience until she's over the terrible 2s. Then comes the teenage stage which makes the terrible 2s look like a walk in the park.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
You mean they mature out of this?:cautious:
Hey! Mayhem! Time to straighten up your act.
Whereas he is not into everything, he is constantly looking for something to do or investigate.
Have you tried distractions, like a bird feeder on a window? Endless entertainment for all of my cats.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
So if she is 13 months old....is she in the terrible twos or approaching the teen years? And in her teen years, will she talk back to her humans?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
She is at the tail end of the T2s and will seamlessly slide into the Terrifying Teens. Belligerence will escalate; she'll act like she has dual personalities, kittenish & needing you one minute and the next acting like you are litter stuck to the bottom of her paw. Once my 3 were done with the TTeens, they settled back into cuddly cats but by that time, my hair was completely gray and I was used to chugging vodka to get through the long days:roflmao:

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I do think the spring weather contributes to their naughtiness. I was just bemoaning how naughty my kitties have been behaving this morning!