Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Does your Savannah put her paws in the water dish?

Dana Lasch

Savannah Adult
I am curious if this is just a quirk of my SV or if there is a trend. I have seen her drink from her water bowl but more often I see her put her foot into the water, then take it out and inspect it. She sometimes repeats this action or just goes on her merry way and plays. Has anyone else seen their SV doing anything like this?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Consider yourself fortunate that she just dips her foot and walks away. LOL

And I think they sometimes do that because, depending on the color of the water dish, they're using their paw to see if there's anything in it.

Patti

Admin
Staff member

Some Savannahs are more interested in water than others. I have one who loves to play in the water bowl, others like to drop their toys in the water, all of which I try to discourage, with mixed success...

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Rafiki's upstairs water bowl is in a plastic container that is in a wrought iron stand in order to prevent her from emptying it 30 seconds after it is filled. For better or worse, only her paws and tongue go in the water bowl. Toys, socks, complete rolls of toilet paper, etc. go in the toilet.

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I thought the ending was going to be "everything" because yes, mine put their feet in everything. Do not leave a drink unattended unless you want savannah feet in it.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Yup. On a daily basis. If I give ice cubes in the water fountain, I can expect the entire thing to be empty inside 10 minutes.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Rafiki's upstairs water bowl is in a plastic container that is in a wrought iron stand in order to prevent her from emptying it 30 seconds after it is filled. For better or worse, only her paws and tongue go in the water bowl. Toys, socks, complete rolls of toilet paper, etc. go in the toilet.
Can you post a pic of your upstairs water bowl and stand?

Dana Lasch

Savannah Adult
:lol:Nala use to dip her foot in the water bowl, she has evolved since I originally posted this. Nala has recently emptied two bowls of water by splashing her paws in the bowl. I guess I will need to try something heavier with an attached upside down water bottle, hopefully that will thwart her efforts at emptying all the water dishes. We are pretty good about keeping the toilet seats down, so we haven't found anything in there that doesn't belong. However, when I am using the toilet, Nala will stand outside the door and cry until I let her in, but then when she gets in all she wants to do is get her head over the rim of the toilet bowl and see what is in there.