Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Dooley biting my feet, anxious about getting fed

John Popp

Site Supporter
It would certainly be easier if Dino would just eat regularly and wasn't so fussy.

Dooley is on a low protein diet, with his food having less than 30% of the calories coming from protein. It's barely at a comfortable level to keep his weight on and get him to eat regularly. Conversely, Dino's food has about 85% of the calories from his food coming from protein, as he doesn't like anything but leaner meats. Roughly 3x the ammonia-producing protein which is beyond what his liver can successfully deal with. It also doesn't have any of the medication mixed in, the most important is Lactulose, as it bonds with ammonia and helps it evacuate his system quickly.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Unfortunately, Dino is probably fussier because they do eat separately. I have found over the years that when there is another cat eating beside them, it encourages them to eat more. Or else he's a brat like mine, Zari demands 5-6 small meals a day and the others are happy to join her in those demands. When the pet sitter is there, they cope quite okay with two meals a day but they prefer to snack....

John Popp

Site Supporter
Dino has always been fussy and is very efficient with his food intake. Dino's stools are nearly all calcium, the diameter of a pencil, while Dooley drops deuces that are the diameter of a finger while only being fractionally larger. Like Zari, Dooley eats 5 or 6 meals a day, one meal every 8 hours and then a secondary smaller meal an hour later if he is still hungry. The quantities are basically determined by what the most food is I can give him and making sure he eats it all so he gets his meds in. Like everything else, it's a juggling act and we've been fortunate to keep Dooley in great health.