Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Dropped Kovu off for his neuter this morning

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I know he will be fine, but can't help a little nervousness. He was very unhappy that breakfast was not served so he was STARVING and then he was put in his carrier. Nyah seemed concerned when we left, and ran to the door when I walked back in, I think she thought he would be with me. She looked confused when he wasn't, and has been more of a Velcro cat than normal. She actually misses her PIA baby brother!

I will pick him up at 4, but the vet will call me when he is out of surgery to tell me how it went.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I hate having to bundle them off to the vet without breakfast, it always seems so mean :-(

I'm sure he will be fine but you won't be able to relax until the vet calls I am sure!

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I wish you could explain to them why they can't eat! Only one of his testicles had dropped, so the surgery is ending up being a little more invasive than a normal neuter. Still nothing wildly out of the ordinary, but of course I wanted a simple snip procedure! He is such a maniac, I hope they give him something for pain to keep him still for a bit as there was more involved. I will be sure to ask. I plan to let him recuperate in the guest room where he was quarantined at least for tonight. I just need to figure out how to Nyah proof the door so she doesn't go in or let him out. I imagine she is going to think he smells funny so maybe she won't want to see him tonight?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, if they had to go looking for the other testicle it is definitely more invasive and kinda more like a spay. I hope they don't leave external sutures so the cone of shame does not need to be added... and I would anticipate they give him pain killers... buprenorphine is what my vets would use. He will not be supposed to be too active so he may need to be separate from Nyah if they tend to wrestle a lot...although while on pain meds he'll probably be too dopey to bother...

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
Our little ex- cryptorchid is home, safe and quasi sound! No external sutures, thank goodness. He does have pain meds, they sent him home with Onsior for the next 2 days. He is not bouncing off the walls, which is his normal state, but he isn't laying down in his kitty bed like I told him to, either. Nyah was very happy to see him come home, and I can tell she would definitely like him to chase her. I am going to keep them separated tonight to avoid any Nyah ambushes, and will do the same over the next few days when we can't physically be with them. The vet said he could have a little food and just gauge how he tolerates it. She thought he may not even want to eat, but this is Kovu we are talking about. I gave him a spoon full of chicken which he ate, he also drank water. He would eat more if I gave it to him, but I am going to wait a little while before I do that. Tycen set up a little step for him so he didn't have to jump into his litter box, which he ignored of course and just lept on in. We all need to keep our fingers crossed he stays just quiet enough not to rip anything!