Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Durable Chew Toy for Kitten?

Ayakina

Savannah Teenager
Hello everyone, I'm new to this thread and I'm a first time cat-owner. I have a F2 savannah that's almost 4 months old, and she's been chewing a lot. After a couple days I realized she might be teething, as she kept on biting everything that's made of wool. I got her some cats and dog toys, such as the dynamite stick, cat-nip mouse, dog squeaky toys, dog rope, etc. She chewed through the dynamite stick within the day and cares very little for the mouse or the other stuffed cat toys I have. She did like the dog rope, but not the rope part. She likes to chew on stuffed animals and rip them apart within a day or two. I tried get her a rubber toy too because she sometimes tries to chew my power cord, but she doesn't care for the texture. So far the only thing that works for her is stuffed animals, but she chews through them so fast and end up eating the stuffing, which leads to her throwing it back up a day or two later. Do you guys have any advice or any recommendation? Thanks a bunch and I look forward to learning much more about these wonderful creatures on this forum!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Don't let her near a stuffed animal! She may have to date just thrown up the stuffing she ingests, but one day it may be more serious, it may cause an obstruction that could threaten her life. It's just not worth the risk. Maybe try those roadkill toys, the ones with no stuffing in them.

Ayakina

Savannah Teenager
Don't let her near a stuffed animal! She may have to date just thrown up the stuffing she ingests, but one day it may be more serious, it may cause an obstruction that could threaten her life. It's just not worth the risk. Maybe try those roadkill toys, the ones with no stuffing in them.
Yeah, a friend of mine told me that today, so I will be getting some this weekend.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Welcome Ayakina! Agreed on the cardboard boxes as they can have as much fun with those as anything. Also pick up some bitter apple spray for your cords before you have a bigger incident and possible injury.

Felt toys have worked pretty well for us, although they fall out of favor and another toy takes it place. They especially like some Alpaca felt balls I picked up that have tails and they can roll. Just busted out a couple new ones last night and the soccer game was on along with some fetch. The object of desire is a real fur large mouse, so you just never really know.

Anyway, again welcome and you'll find lots of answers and good advice here.