Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Durable toys for very hard chewers

AThompson2203

Savannah Adult
I need any suggestions for durable plush toys for my 2 savannahs. Our one boy is teething so he's chewing on everything he can and our other boy is just a hard chewer. We've tried rubber toys but they seem to only like plush realistic ones. We just got them a large tuffy toy that are made for dogs that are hard chewers but they've managed to rip the seams out and are pulling the insides out like always. Thanks for any help! My shoes and I will thank you.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
No fur or plush toy is indestructible... especially not anything the cats will be the least bit interested in. We do offer some very heavy sheepskin toys though. Of the hides in stock, black is the thickest and brown a close second with the white not quite as thick as the other two. We have a holiday sale on right now as well: http://www.hyendry.com/15_ OFF_sale.html

Hope they outgrow the chewing stage soon! :)

Great site... Will have to check it out in more details... Just curious? how do you measure a cat for a fit?

MM3

Site Supporter
I look for mice or the like that I can open the seam replace stuffing(seen shows where cat swallowed stuffing surgery to remove it; blockage) with cut up blue jeans. So if by chance it is ripped apart and I am not home highly likely blue jeans will be eaten. At the time of replacing stuffing can add cat nip. Seems to work, at first she knows immediately something's different. But no matter what it is I add a leather tail and tie a bell to it. It's accepted! Rather go the extra mile than to regret it later, gives me peace of mind.

AThompson2203

Savannah Adult
I think I'll try the sheepskin toys! Thanks! The younger boy we have has had issues with swallowing the insides of things and luckily he vomited them back up so I'm not giving him anything that has insides he can swallow. I also don't feel like sewing toys closed every other day because they rip them open. They love the mice with the nice loud jingly ball but they rip them open in a matter of a day. I'm hopeful of the sheepskin though. :)

admin

Paige
Staff member
I look for mice or the like that I can open the seam replace stuffing(seen shows where cat swallowed stuffing surgery to remove it; blockage) with cut up blue jeans. So if by chance it is ripped apart and I am not home highly likely blue jeans will be eaten. At the time of replacing stuffing can add cat nip. Seems to work, at first she knows immediately something's different. But no matter what it is I add a leather tail and tie a bell to it. It's accepted! Rather go the extra mile than to regret it later, gives me peace of mind.

I like that idea...if only I could sew ;)

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I have a beagle that likes to unstuff his stuffed toys...so we have a lot of the roadkill toys...the plush toys without stuffing... http://www.amazon.com/Ethical-Pet-S...el/dp/B001B1OK6C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_7

My Savannahs carry them around and beat them up like normal plush toys, so they work for us :)

Those Skinneeez toys are nice... Not much to unstuff. I got a couple for my dog and he loves to carry them around... But he is very careful with his toys. I have only had to throw away 1 dog toy as a result, and he has a basket full.. He just likes to carry them around and chew on the ones that make noise, but never has torn up a squeak toy in his 14 years. Sylvester was much the same way... I had dozen's of mice that he had collected over the years. He loved to carry them around and smack them under things, and though his 15 years he never lost not one... From what I am reading here, it would appear that when my Savannah arrives the history of long lived toys will be shortly coming to an end :)

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
We're having a tough time coming up with durable toys, too. Triton manages to mangle the roadkill toys in record time. So far, he's doing well with the Cat's Meow chaser...hasn't torn the nylon sheet that covers it, or chewed off the chaser part. Now the problem is keeping a good supply of batteries. When does the teething phase end? He's 14 months old now, and I'm wondering if he'll always be chewing like this.

AThompson2203

Savannah Adult
Oh no. I hope the teething phase ends soon. My youngest is only 9 months old. I hope he's done teething by 14 months!

Katniss

And her brother Crazy !
I am just hoping I can now put out different Christmas décor that I could not last year due to the young age of our kitties.. Next month they both turn 2 and I am hoping.. (not really believing) but hoping I can put out a few more decorations than last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11:uh oh: