Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eating Feather Toys!!

Aaron

Savannah Super Cat
So I got little Simba home last night YAY!! So exciting! I've quarantined him in a spare bedroom and he's slowly but surely coming around (still hissy toward the kids... although he's rubbing etc.. while hissing so I'm assuming its not a truly negative hiss). That being said, he seems to love wand toys except has completely destroyed the two I purchased. He goes directly for the feathers and consumes them (literally). I initially attempted to take a feather out of his mouth when I saw it happen (the only time I actually did) and he ran off and swallowed the feather... I've since removed the feather toys. Should I be worried?? He seems OK, but I dont want something to happen with his digestive tract etc.. if these feathers don't pass through properly. I got the toys from a big chain pet store (Petsmart). I'm hoping they are genuine feathers and not synthetic (may be dyed not sure).

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Ugh, feathers can definitely cause a problem if swallowed - they can get stuck and cause a bowel obstruction, or even perforate the gut. I would watch him closely an make sure he continues to eat and poop normally, and hopefully passes them on his own. If anything changes in his eating or bowel habits I would have him checked out at the vets.

And no more feather toys, at least not without close supervision!!

Aaron

Savannah Super Cat
Noted!! I actually cut any remaining feathers off of any toys that had them :) He pooped for the first time so hopefully all's good!!!!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
My feeling would be to watch and wait... if your kitty hasn't stopped eating, is not vomiting...watch to see how their appetite continues, if they poop as normal etc... I think it is very rare for appetite and stools to be completely normal and a cat to have an obstruction. Not impossible but very rare.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Brigitte - usually the first sign of an obstruction is a lack of appetite and/or vomiting. She could also have diarrhea or no stools at all. As long as she continues to eat normally and poop normally I would not worry... but watch for those fabrics to come out her other end...

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Hopefully she gets it all out on her own. Only cat people understand the excitement over poop

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I'd still keep an eye on any future poops, especially since you say it is not her normal pooping pattern. Keep us posted!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
The entire forum is on pins and needles waiting to hear about Leah's future poops!!! :roflmao:

John Popp

Site Supporter
Yes, feline stool gazing is a 100 level prerequisite for when we are convalescing in a retirement home sometime in the future. It's opening the door to feel more comfortable with our own deficating and what later in life is a healthy fascination with our stools. Not only do we learn to speak openly about our own stools but participate in conversations with others about their waste product, regularity and frequency.

So rejoice one and all, and embrace the poop!