Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Elsa being Ornery Today!

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Took Elsa out walking today and she did pretty good until a neighbors cat came through the yard, and the owners kid on a mini back drove up into the drive way... I had to put her back inside, and then helped the kid get his cat back home. Elsa was fine after being back in the house a couple minutes.
toilet.jpg
Elsa went to the next stage of her Toilet Training. This will be the last phase and she is doing great with it.
Elsa-1.JPG Elsa-2.JPG
Elsa trying to get some tea... The cup is empty, so she is using her paw to scrap some from the bottom...
Elsa-3.JPG
She also likes to clean my glasses after I use them... Sometime she tries before they are empty.
Elsa-5.JPG
Finally discovered how she removes her collar... She takes one of her rear paws, and puts underneath the collar and then kicks... Pops loose immediately... She wears it most the time... But she knows how to.​

Last edited:

MM3

Site Supporter
Took Elsa out walking today and she did pretty good until a neighbors cat came through the yard, and the owners kid on a mini back drove up into the drive way... I had to put her back inside, and then helped the kid get his cat back home. Elsa was fine after being back in the house a couple minutes.
View attachment 12406
Elsa went to the next stage of her Toilet Training. This will be the last phase and she is doing great with it.
View attachment 12402 View attachment 12403
Elsa trying to get some tea... The cup is empty, so she is using her paw to scrap some from the bottom...
View attachment 12404
She also likes to clean my glasses after I use them... Sometime she tries before they are empty.
View attachment 12405
Finally discovered how she removes her collar... She takes one of her rear paws, and puts underneath the collar and then kicks... Pops loose immediately... She wears it most the time... But she knows how to.​
Would appreciate your view point, I too wish to train kitty. Have the kit here. Here is my reservation, many months ago my kitty was eating dr. E'S (check posts kitty eating kitty litter )kitty litter. Now, had I stayed on track with my planning( and of course my kitty adapting to my plan w/o one of her own) kitty would of been trained to use the big potty and the possibility of me not noticing ( because I would not be picking up ) her BM being the color of the grey clay. By hence figuring out why it was this odd color. I already needed to figure why at times she was having breathing issues. Kitty would get very close to the ground in her hunting position. At that moment making an odd sound as if she was having trouble breathing. This behavior was new, never had her get into this position unless we were playing. As the days passed she would repeat this more times a day.

My viewpoint is had she used the big potty and I had not been aware of her eating the litter which of course I never saw. I truly believe I would of lost her. She was constipated and somewhat dehydrated.

I would love to be DONE WITH LITTER & litter boxes but I am apprehensive. Please share with me your viewpoint.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Would appreciate your view point, I too wish to train kitty. Have the kit here. Here is my reservation, many months ago my kitty was eating dr. E'S (check posts kitty eating kitty litter )kitty litter. Now, had I stayed on track with my planning( and of course my kitty adapting to my plan w/o one of her own) kitty would of been trained to use the big potty and the possibility of me not noticing ( because I would not be picking up ) her BM being the color of the grey clay. By hence figuring out why it was this odd color. I already needed to figure why at times she was having breathing issues. Kitty would get very close to the ground in her hunting position. At that moment making an odd sound as if she was having trouble breathing. This behavior was new, never had her get into this position unless we were playing. As the days passed she would repeat this more times a day.

My viewpoint is had she used the big potty and I had not been aware of her eating the litter which of course I never saw. I truly believe I would of lost her. She was constipated and somewhat dehydrated.

I would love to be DONE WITH LITTER & litter boxes but I am apprehensive. Please share with me your viewpoint.
With Elsa, I started her day one with the "Litter Kwitter System" http://litterkwitter.com/en/index.php and she is 8 weeks into it. I am doing a video on her with her progress (I guess you could say it is kind of a "Crap Shoot" :rolleyes:). Basically all that you have to do is start them with the Toilet Seat insert near toilet, let them get comfortable with this then move it to the toilet a couple weeks later... Basically you will have to figure the time table based on progress of your cat(s). After about 2 weeks swap the no hole tray/pan with one that has a small hole, and then they should start using the hole in the center, and then another couple weeks based on progress got to the Green pan that has a big hole in it.. and it works great. Like I said, Elsa has really picked up on this and doing great with it.

One thing you mentioned was the clay, and it sounds as though you are using clumping litter, I am no expert and maybe someone else can make a better comment but Elsa's breeder recommends Non-Clumping, and in particular "Feline Pine" that is available at Petsmart or Petco. Just a note, I have used less than 2 lbs of litter in 8 weeks, and will soon be down to zero. In concerns to this, if someone more exerpienced could offer more comments on the eating of litter and clumping vs non-clumping please respond... I am no expert.
Feline Pine.jpg

I will send you a private message with a private video link that may help.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Is your concern not being able to truly see her BMs and therefore not knowing if there is an issue? As long as you do not teach your kitty to flush, the pooh would be at the bottom of the bowl. I would think that it would still be fairly obvious if there was a health issue.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Is your concern not being able to truly see her BMs and therefore not knowing if there is an issue? As long as you do not teach your kitty to flush, the pooh would be at the bottom of the bowl. I would think that it would still be fairly obvious if there was a health issue.
LOL, No fear... You can see it... You can teach them to flush, but I am not even going to go there because the way that Elsa likes to see running/moving water going down the drain, she would probably bankrupt me.

admin

Paige
Staff member

I would not change anything right now...let her get used to the litter you are currently using (yesterdays news) for a good month...no sense changing something that is working...for now.

MM3

Site Supporter
I would not change anything right now...let her get used to the litter you are currently using (yesterdays news) for a good month...no sense changing something that is working...for now.
Yes, that sounds right! She is doing great right now.

MM3

Site Supporter
With Elsa, I started her day one with the "Litter Kwitter System" http://litterkwitter.com/en/index.php and she is 8 weeks into it. I am doing a video on her with her progress (I guess you could say it is kind of a "Crap Shoot" :rolleyes:). Basically all that you have to do is start them with the Toilet Seat insert near toilet, let them get comfortable with this then move it to the toilet a couple weeks later... Basically you will have to figure the time table based on progress of your cat(s). After about 2 weeks swap the no hole tray/pan with one that has a small hole, and then they should start using the hole in the center, and then another couple weeks based on progress got to the Green pan that has a big hole in it.. and it works great. Like I said, Elsa has really picked up on this and doing great with it.

One thing you mentioned was the clay, and it sounds as though you are using clumping litter, I am no expert and maybe someone else can make a better comment but Elsa's breeder recommends Non-Clumping, and in particular "Feline Pine" that is available at Petsmart or Petco. Just a note, I have used less than 2 lbs of litter in 8 weeks, and will soon be down to zero. In concerns to this, if someone more exerpienced could offer more comments on the eating of litter and clumping vs non-clumping please respond... I am no expert.

I will send you a private message with a private video link that may help.
Sure thing, thanks!