Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elsa Got Spayed, and Vet said she did Great

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
First we would like to thank everyone for your encouraging thoughts and prayers.

No need to tell anyone I was worried because of her previous history, but we got thru it... One of the Vets instructions were to confine her as much as possible... LOL, if she was hurting anywhere, she was doing a good job hiding it.

Elsa-1.JPG
Elsa getting getting ready to leave... Spending time chewing on her camera mount

Elsa-2.JPG
Back home trying to keep Elsa calm (impossible mission). She continually brought me her balls to throw, jumping everywhere, and getting into everything. Doing everything except staying calm. I stayed up late and when it was time to go to bed, I could not find her... She decided to go to bed early...​

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
So glad to hear this, though I knew Elsa would be fine :) She certainly had the full prayer and good wishes circle going in her favor.

Gotta laugh at your vet's instructions to keep her quiet....lol! But do try your best. I would not encourage her to run, jump or chase objects....even if it means containing her in a smaller room or her crate. And keep a good eye on her incision. If it looks as if it is gaping or weeping, ask your vet about it. Don't let her lick it excessively...assuming she had the usual spaying procedure in her abdomen?

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Update.. I am not sure if it is good or bad, but here is her incision (or laser hole). Image is not too good. Was hard to keep her still...

Elsa-3.JPG

The larger red spot that is circled​

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
So glad to hear this, though I knew Elsa would be fine :) She certainly had the full prayer and good wishes circle going in her favor.

Gotta laugh at your vet's instructions to keep her quiet....lol! But do try your best. I would not encourage her to run, jump or chase objects....even if it means containing her in a smaller room or her crate. And keep a good eye on her incision. If it looks as if it is gaping or weeping, ask your vet about it. Don't let her lick it excessively...assuming she had the usual spaying procedure in her abdomen?

Yes, in the abdomen... It was laser surgery... I have been keeping an eye on it and no sign of see page. I have been trying to keep her calm, but.. Well you know Savannahs. Right before going to bed, I looked everywhere for her.. Could not find her anywhere.... LOL, she had gone to bed on her own, and that is almost unheard of....

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
I've been waiting to hear the results--really really glad she's doing so well.

Just keep her away from catnip and full bathtubs and she should heal quickly. Looking forward to hearing about and seeing her next adventure!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear that Elsa came through with flying colors. She probably went to bed early to sleep off the rest of the effects of the anesthesia so that she can be raring to go in the morning. If you thought it was hard keeping her calm today, you haven't seen nuthin yet... :roflmao:

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Elsa seems to be doing well this morning... She has already attacked my feet before I got out of bed. She slept well last night. If she has any pain from the surgery, she is doing the worlds best at hiding it.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
That is such good news John. And I REALLY do mean that. :)

Other than being shaved fur and the red incision point there is really no evidence of the surgery. There is a fair amount of redness at the incision point, but she is not licking, scratching, or doing anything else to it. I am not sure what kind of permanent evidence will remain after the fur grows back.

Any one have any idea how long the redness should stay before I should become concerned?