Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Shock collars for cats

Connie P.

Savannah Super Cat
I can’t believe I am asking this, but I am desperate. Has anyone ever used a cat shock collar to try to stop there Savannah from attacking and biting. We have tried scolding loudly and putting him in a time out space, but it is not working. My Mom’s arms are really torn up from my F2 attacking and biting her. I have to do something. He is only 5 months old and already 15 lbs. His bites will require stitches soon as he gets bigger. He does not have to be provoked to become very aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

admin

Paige
Staff member
I can’t believe I am asking this, but I am desperate. Has anyone ever used a cat shock collar to try to stop there Savannah from attacking and biting. We have tried scolding loudly and putting him in a time out space, but it is not working. My Mom’s arms are really torn up from my F2 attacking and biting her. I have to do something. He is only 5 months old and already 15 lbs. His bites will require stitches soon as he gets bigger. He does not have to be provoked to become very aggressive.

What do you envision a shock collar doing? The answer is no to shock collars on cats (or dogs for that matter). Questions - is he neutered? Is he declawed? How long have you had him? How often do you feed him? What are you feeding him? Have you spoken to his breeder?

Connie P.

Savannah Super Cat
Yes, he is neutered and I have had him since he was 12 weeks old. He is fed 3 or more times a day and anytime he acts hungry. He is eating Darwin’s raw and gets all he wants. I would use the collar by activating it immediately when he attacks aggressively and bites. I would rather use a shock collar ; hopefully only a few times and he would understand, rather than him being place in an enclosure outside for the rest of his life. I have to stop it somehow, and nothing recommended by the breeder is working. He has even attacked her in the night while she is in bed asleep.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Using a shock collar will ruin your kitten fur the rest of his life. He is a baby and there is no reason his behavior cannot be corrected. I have never, ever, heard of anyone using a shock collar on a kitten or cat.

I am a breeder... Kittens bite...I nip it in the bud when they are babies. Have you tried putting a toy in his mouth when he goes to bite? Screeching when he does it? Giving him chunky meat to chew on? Or chicken drumsticks? What had the breeder suggested that isn't working? Have you spoken to a cat behaviorist?

Your kitten should not have to spend his life in an enclosure outside... His biting can be rectified... I'm curious who the breeder is.

Connie P.

Savannah Super Cat
I would love to talk to a behaviorist. Yes, we have tried all the things you suggested that our breeder has already suggested. Can you tell me how to get in touch with a behaviorist? My Mom was on the phone yesterday not even touching him. He came running around the corner, jumped on the couch, sliced her arm open and ran. He knows he is doing something bad.

Connie P.

Savannah Super Cat
We have also tried putting him a “time out” area, the bathroom closet, for 5-10 minutes when he does it.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I would love to talk to a behaviorist. Yes, we have tried all the things you suggested that our breeder has already suggested. Can you tell me how to get in touch with a behaviorist? My Mom was on the phone yesterday not even touching him. He came running around the corner, jumped on the couch, sliced her arm open and ran. He knows he is doing something bad.

He was running and caught her with a claw. He wasn't doing anything wrong. He sounds bored to me and likely needs a friend.

Please contact Marilyn Krieger - thecatcoach.com

Snakebike

Savannah Super Cat
I agree that he sounds bored but not sure you should add a friend cat until this problem is solved. Do you have toys all around the house for him to play with? Do you play with him and have him chase wand toys around the house a few times a day? Also, if you keep his nails trimmed short that should help and if he is biting a particular part on your body put some bitter apple on that part.

Connie P.

Savannah Super Cat
No claw. He bite her. He gets in attack mode and bites. The problem is in another few months his bites are going to require stitches. I am looking for a buddy for him and hope that helps. I can’t get another Savannah right now, so I am waiting on a litter of Maine Coon kittens to be born. This is an everyday thing. Our arms look terrible from bites. I will definitely get in touch with Marilyn for help. I have never even hit him so using a shock collar was just an idea out of frustration. Thank you!

admin

Paige
Staff member
I would hope you would not hit him - he is just a baby...kittens are not mean - their little teeth are sharp...he is just trying to play like he would with a sibling...it can be a phase he is going through. You need to be persistent in retraining him not to bite. Cats do not understand time out - they understand positive reinforcement.