Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

enclosure pics

M

macmanmatty

Here are some pictures of my enclosure in the final stages all that's left are lights and a building a little more cat furniture. It has 2 9x10 areas one 8x8 area and 5x8 storage area acting as double door. The 2 9x10 rooms are chain link fence enclosed with 2x4 on 2 ft centers and plywood on few walls. They are 8ft tall rooms with a board celling. The 8x8 room is insulated with r-3 foam board and r-9 fiberglass . This is where kittens will be born and live out there first 6-8 weeks. It is also 8ft high and has 2 windows. All rooms have concrete floor.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Looking good! One question....will the kittens have access to the chain link areas? I'd worry they could get stuck in the openings....maybe add an additional material on the inside with smaller holes to provide that? They will also climb....will you have something else on the concrete to buffer any falls?

Sorry, I'm just a worry wart when it comes to the babies, as well as the adults :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Looks great, and I am sure is very satisfying to finish too!

If the kittens are going to live their first 8 weeks of life out in that 8X8 room, I hope you make it comfy for you to be spending lots of time out there with them to make sure they get plenty human time at that impressionable age :)

M

macmanmatty

there will be rugs an carpeting on the floor. the kittens will not be in chain link area until they are 8 weeks old. I think the chain link should hold them at that size.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
They will get though the chain link at that age. I have had much older keeper kittens (ones that stay here) that go into my cat enclosure and will move in and out of the chain-link stud kennels with ease, right thought the chain link holes.

M

macmanmatty

Even with a 2ft high plywood bottom covering? There is 2ft of plywood and then the 11.5 gauge link chain fence but, If needed I will cover outer side in chicken wire.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think eight week old kittens will be able to jump to the top of 2ft high plywood to get through the chain link - 3ft or even 2 1/2ft would be a better deterrent. I have also heard of cats getting their claws caught in the twisted wire of chain link so you'll have to keep a close eye out in that respect. Are these enclosures only for pregnant moms and kittens? Because wood will soak up cat spray from any intact cats and probably need replacement on a routine basis.

M

macmanmatty

Hello The enclosures are for males and females One room for studs another for queens. With a plywood and chain link between the two. with separate rooms for moms and kittens. The plywood is painted with a very good exterior grade paint.