Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

enclosure questions

M

macmanmatty

I am planning on building and outdoor enclosure for my savannah right now just the male but there will be females in future. For those who have an outdoor enclosure made of chain link fence what gauge did you use I was thinking of going with 11.5 gauge is that to light? Or should I get 9 gauge? I was going to secure it with on to 2x4s every 2 ft. This is going underneath our house so the enclosure will be at least 15x10 ft and 8 ft high. I am screwing 2x4s in to concrete floor and bottom of house then running 2x4 pots every 2 ft to hold the wire. The corner posts will screwed to 16x16 cement filled concrete posts that are holding up our house. I was planning on buying 4ft fencing and doubling up to make it 8 ft high. Is that ok? Should I have the bottom 2ft closed off with no wire? I could use cement board for this?

let em know what you did for your enclosures and if you'd like to include a pic that would nice.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I don't have an outdoor enclosure but I have purchased my indoor enclosures from Options Plus who also make outdoor enclosues, so you can probably get some ideas from them: http://www.optionspluskennels.com/ I believe they include the dimensions, guage, etc. One thing about cement - it will absorb cat urine/spray, which will also cause ungalvanized/coated wire to corrode...

MF-boy

Savannah Child
this is what we have built (not perfect, but it works very well): I purchased 4 chain link panels for a dog kennel on e-bay ($200 with local delivery), two fence poles and chicken wire. The rabbit wire is attached to the house, meets the poles on two sides (the poled go into the ground, I poured concrete around each), two 12' chain link panels are attached to the poles, and two 6' panels are connecting these two "walls" parallel to the house. The chicken wire also goes on top and is connected to the house at an angle, over the window. A window door and shelves on the wall allow the cat to go in and out (and boy, does he go in/it all the time!). There are arbor vita bushes under the window, which give him shelter form sun and rain as he has chosen to take all his litter box business there, into the mulched area -- the litter box stayed clean since June. We also bough several ruffled plastic panels at HD and attached to a 2x4 -- this kind of roof helps for rain and sun but will have to go away in winter, as it just sits on top of the chain link panels. Ideally, it would need an overhang attached to the house, but this will be the next project.

The cat "guards the house" from there, he meets us when we come, touches/sniffs through the fence -- and runs inside to greet at the door as we walk in :)

He has been jumping on the sides where the rabbit wire is, so I reinforced it (the plastic wrapping of the wires tends to detach, leaving large gaps) with a plastic deer net over it.

Wild Tafari

Savannah Super Cat
My husband, along with a couple of guys to help with labor, just completed the second stage of our indoor/outdoor cattery. We are still working on cosmetics such as finished walls, hard-wood flooring, landscaping, etc.

Each Queen and Stud's run (with the exception of our Serval "Tafari") is 5' wide x 16' long x 12' high, with varying platforms to allow full use of their entire space. My husband used 4x4's, 6x6's and 2x4's. All of the 4x4's and 6x6's have 80 pounds of concrete poured into the ground around them to assure stability and long life.

Our Serval has over 1,000 sq ft of outdoor living space and he has a run that seems never ending. I plan to post photos of the entire step by step building process when 100% completed to include landscaping. My husband is very anal when it comes to his work, and considering it's not completed, he would prefer that we not post photos publicly just yet. I have attached a distant photo of the cattery on part of our land where you can see the cattery building in the distance with it's red tin roof. :)

The inside of our cattery building is 12' wide x 50' long with 12' vaulted ceilings where each run has a door access to the inside building where each cat has their very own living quarters, giving them access to inside and outside at will. During the Queen's pregnancy, her door can be closed off to the outdoors.

The building itself has French doors, a door on each end, several windows for natural lighting, remote viewing cam and security systems, ductless central A/C unit with a heat pump and dehumidifier, ceiling fans with lighting and wall sconces.

I can honestly tell you, like I'm sure most of you already know, that every single penny that we have made with selling our kittens has gone back into our cattery and the well-being of our Savannahs. Thankfully my husband is skilled with his hands which has helped to keep the cost down a tad! I couldn't ask for a better husband who has devoted his time, energy and finances in helping me obtain my dream of breeding and raising happy, healthy Savannah kittens.

Attachments

• Land:Cattery.JPG
    Land:Cattery.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 33
S

shelby

You are blessed;>) It does mean everything to have the full support of your spouse. From the sound of things...you are going to make the cats very happy;>) IT DOES TAKE TIME, MONEY AND MUCH EFFORT TO GET THESE PROJECTS DONE. I know you will be happy to complete your project. I do look forward to seeing the finished project.
www.dreamweavercatz.com

admin

Paige
Staff member
My husband, along with a couple of guys to help with labor, just completed the second stage of our indoor/outdoor cattery. We are still working on cosmetics such as finished walls, hard-wood flooring, landscaping, etc.

Each Queen and Stud's run (with the exception of our Serval "Tafari") is 5' wide x 16' long x 12' high, with varying platforms to allow full use of their entire space. My husband used 4x4's, 6x6's and 2x4's. All of the 4x4's and 6x6's have 80 pounds of concrete poured into the ground around them to assure stability and long life.

Our Serval has over 1,000 sq ft of outdoor living space and he has a run that seems never ending. I plan to post photos of the entire step by step building process when 100% completed to include landscaping. My husband is very anal when it comes to his work, and considering it's not completed, he would prefer that we not post photos publicly just yet. I have attached a distant photo of the cattery on part of our land where you can see the cattery building in the distance with it's red tin roof. :)

The inside of our cattery building is 12' wide x 50' long with 12' vaulted ceilings where each run has a door access to the inside building where each cat has their very own living quarters, giving them access to inside and outside at will. During the Queen's pregnancy, her door can be closed off to the outdoors.

The building itself has French doors, a door on each end, several windows for natural lighting, remote viewing cam and security systems, ductless central A/C unit with a heat pump and dehumidifier, ceiling fans with lighting and wall sconces.

I can honestly tell you, like I'm sure most of you already know, that every single penny that we have made with selling our kittens has gone back into our cattery and the well-being of our Savannahs. Thankfully my husband is skilled with his hands which has helped to keep the cost down a tad! I couldn't ask for a better husband who has devoted his time, energy and finances in helping me obtain my dream of breeding and raising happy, healthy Savannah kittens.

Sounds like an awesome project, Kelli! Can't wait to see it when it is finished.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I am planning on building and outdoor enclosure for my savannah right now just the male but there will be females in future. For those who have an outdoor enclosure made of chain link fence what gauge did you use I was thinking of going with 11.5 gauge is that to light? Or should I get 9 gauge? I was going to secure it with on to 2x4s every 2 ft. This is going underneath our house so the enclosure will be at least 15x10 ft and 8 ft high. I am screwing 2x4s in to concrete floor and bottom of house then running 2x4 pots every 2 ft to hold the wire. The corner posts will screwed to 16x16 cement filled concrete posts that are holding up our house. I was planning on buying 4ft fencing and doubling up to make it 8 ft high. Is that ok? Should I have the bottom 2ft closed off with no wire? I could use cement board for this?

let em know what you did for your enclosures and if you'd like to include a pic that would nice.

You can see here to get some other ideas: http://www.savannahcatchat.com/threads/savannah-cats-love-outdoor-enclosure.1110/#post-14599

My enclosure is wood and wire from C&D Pet Products

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Your cattery sounds awesome Kelli! I can't wait until you finish so that we can see pics! I don't suppose your hubby is available for hire to build a few more catteries around the country??? :roflmao: