Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Escape proofing fences?

alicia griffin

Savannah Super Cat
Hello!

Henry is my F2 and is now 2 years old. He is of course an indoors cat. We have a screened in pool patio and he has a cat flap so he can go in and out between the house and patio as he pleases. We have around 1/4 acre large backyard and recently put in a 6ft vinyl privacy fence. The goal was to let him and the other kitties out a bit only under parental supervision! I told my fiancee that he has to stand next to him because I knew he could jump the fence easily. And he didn't believe me. But of course, Henry jumped right up, paws on the top and pulled himself over. Looking for a way to keep him from being able to jump over. I see cat fencing with mesh type surroundings but that is a lot to put up and a huge expense. I also saw rubbery spiky strips to put on top of the fence but those had mixed reviews. We are planting large hedges in front that are around 3 feet thick but they won't be grown up for a long time. Is there anything I can do to keep him from leaping over or at least slow him down? Again, this is only for short jaunts outside while I am with him and watching. I hate the thought of drilling holes all over a HUGE and pricey fence investment Just looking for any ideas.

Thanks!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I can't think of anything for a large area that won't cost money. This company in Australia came up with what looks like a good idea but I know that my F2s and my F1 could easily jump over it. You could probably do this yourself with products found at lowes or home depot if you know a good handyman.
https://www.oscillot.com.au/

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I emailed the Oscillot people and they said that they would ship, but the shipping cost would be ~$300.

Purrfect Fencing does have an attachment you could put tat the top of your current privacy fence, http://www.purrfectfence.com/ , my neighbors did that and it's great. I know other Savannah owners that have used that fencing for years so it is at least tried and true.

cbain

Site Supporter
Our 2 F3's got their enclosure when they were a year old , they had been indoor cats all their life and at first they were over whelmed by the outdoors but soon our male went out to test it and got the adventure of his life, our female soon fallowed him, by day 3 our male was climbing the 8 foot fence and soon he found how to scale the 2 foot over hang, our Vet inspected the enclosure and said this may happen and she said I may need a electric controller and she got me a discount on one for small animal from Tractor and supply and it works very well, total cost for wire and control and insulators was well under $100. our enclosure was enlarged last summer and we did not use overhangs and removed them from the old enclosure , we have electric on both sides so nothing will try to climb it DSCN1844.JPG DSCN0712.JPG DSCN0785.JPG

alicia griffin

Savannah Super Cat
Our 2 F3's got their enclosure when they were a year old , they had been indoor cats all their life and at first they were over whelmed by the outdoors but soon our male went out to test it and got the adventure of his life, our female soon fallowed him, by day 3 our male was climbing the 8 foot fence and soon he found how to scale the 2 foot over hang, our Vet inspected the enclosure and said this may happen and she said I may need a electric controller and she got me a discount on one for small animal from Tractor and supply and it works very well, total cost for wire and control and insulators was well under $100. our enclosure was enlarged last summer and we did not use overhangs and removed them from the old enclosure , we have electric on both sides so nothing will try to climb it View attachment 21352 View attachment 21351 View attachment 21350
How is your fence working? I’m very interested in setting something like this up but not sure how to go about it!

cbain

Site Supporter
How is your fence working? I’m very interested in setting something like this up but not sure how to go about it!
The fence has worked out very well and our 4 Savannahs just love the freedom and adventure of the outdoors and I like the security and protection of the steel fence that keeps them safe but the down side of a large enclosure is that they quickly learn how to hunt and they must be treated for fleas, and other bugs as outdoor cats and on rainy days you can count on a Savannah uprising if you dont let them outside to run off their energy, the bottom line is the outdoor enclosure is by far the best thing that I have ever given them. DSCN1625.JPG DSCN3504.JPG

alicia griffin

Savannah Super Cat
The fence has worked out very well and our 4 Savannahs just love the freedom and adventure of the outdoors and I like the security and protection of the steel fence that keeps them safe but the down side of a large enclosure is that they quickly learn how to hunt and they must be treated for fleas, and other bugs as outdoor cats and on rainy days you can count on a Savannah uprising if you dont let them outside to run off their energy, the bottom line is the outdoor enclosure is by far the best thing that I have ever given them. View attachment 27713 View attachment 27714
How do you have your set up installed? I looked into purrfect fence with the overhang but not if he can still escape! I have 6 foot fences now. Where would I even put the electric part? Sorry I just can’t figure out how to do this

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
How do you have your set up installed? I looked into purrfect fence with the overhang but not if he can still escape! I have 6 foot fences now. Where would I even put the electric part? Sorry I just can’t figure out how to do this
I know people with a gang of Savannahs including F1s and the Purrfect fence overhang works for them. I think that you do have to be very careful with gateways and trees to secure them...and if you live somewhere with wildlife be vigilant about checking the perimeter. I think my friend put welded wire at the bottom in addition to the Purrfect fencing to prevent other animals chewing through the fence...