Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Excessive kitten crying when left alone

TrevVT

Savannah Kitten
Hey everyone, I just brought an affectionate male F3 into my home last Sunday. He was born on Sept. 29th and his name is Simba. When we put him in his room, he constantly meows/cries. When we bring him out he is fine. Hopefully this is just a part of his adjustment and that he is starting to bond with us. Any advice would be appreciated. I will be sure to show you all a photo of him when I get to my computer. Thanks, Trevor from Northern VA.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Trevor, Simba is quite young at 10 weeks old, and crying is to be expected as he has just left the comfort of home as he knew it with possibly other siblings and his mother or other cats for companionship....can you put him in your bedroom with you, or can you sleep in the room he is quarantined in? How much time do you spend with him in his room...best case scenario, this is a room that sees a lot of use: a bathroom, an office, etc. If moving him to another room where more interaction can occur is not possible, try putting one of your shirts you have worn or a blanket from your bed in with him. Spend more time with him reading out loud or on a laptop. Make sure you play with him frequently. Try leaving a TV or radio playing; does he have at least one cat tree he can see out a window with? When you "bring him out" do you mean into a main area of the house?

And welcome :) I am looking forward to seeing pics of this new baby of yours :)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I completely agree with Pam, Simba is missing his family and companions. You need to spend as much time as possible with him and provide reassurance that he is not being abandoned when he is left all alone in his room. If you have a TV in his room you can try one of the pet sitter DVDs and see if that will entertain/distract him while he's in there. Otherwise you should try to spend as much time as possible in there - even if it's not directly playing with him... you can read a book or email, etc. Sleeping with him at night would be a definite bonus :up:

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Trevor, welcome.

Our F4 boy and our F5 boy both cry incessantly if they are not allowed to be with us. They did so as babies, and they do so now. As babies, i took it as a sign that they needed attention. As adult kitties, I take it as a sign that they love us. Just go with it :)
They most likely just want to be with you. Let them, and it will all be ok :)

TrevVT

Savannah Kitten
Thank you all for the great advice. I was able to spend the whole day with him and he seems to be really adjusting. He does still cry a little when left alone but I have made sure I have given him plenty of attention and exercise so he usually is tuckered out after a few minutes when being put back in his room. We also gradually introduced him to our five-year old tabby cat and they have really bonded.

I want to post a photo of him but I have read that this would need to be a thumbnail to conserve space. Could someone kindly let me know how to upload a thumbnail photo?

Thanks and happy holidays.

Trevor, welcome.

Our F4 boy and our F5 boy both cry incessantly if they are not allowed to be with us. They did so as babies, and they do so now. As babies, i took it as a sign that they needed attention. As adult kitties, I take it as a sign that they love us. Just go with it :)
Trevor, welcome.

Hina

Site Supporter
You can use the 'Upload a File' button to upload photos. This is at the bottom of the message box you type in. I'm not sure about the size of the image, you can resize the image using any photo editor if needed.

TrevVT

Savannah Kitten
You can use the 'Upload a File' button to upload photos. This is at the bottom of the message box you type in. I'm not sure about the size of the image, you can resize the image using any photo editor if needed.

Thanks.

Here are photos of Simba (F3C). Simba#2 small.JPG Simba#1 small.JPG

Patti

Admin
Staff member
He's a beautiful boy! I'm glad to hear that he is settling in and adjusting well to his new home and family.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Welcome! Simba is a beautiful boy :in love:

My girl always cries when I'm not in a room with her. My F4 foster boy cried incessantly when he was locked up due to a leg injury. Even when he was allowed to use his leg more he had so much pent up energy he just wandered around the house meowing. Now that he has been out for a little over a week his meowing has stopped unless he is looking for his aunt Zeddie. Maybe Simba will be a vocal boy too