Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Excessive thirst?

Ishani Birch

Savannah Super Cat
I've noticed Sterling has been drinking A LOT more water recently. Does anyone know if this is worrisome behavior? I thought I'd ask here before googling it.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I've noticed Sterling has been drinking A LOT more water recently. Does anyone know if this is worrisome behavior? I thought I'd ask here before googling it.
The stuff you find if you google will probably scare you. I read somewhere that on average a 10 lb cat consumes 2.5 cups of water per day and that includes all sources of water, such as canned food. If he's on a kibble diet, he would drink more.

Excessive thirst and excessive thirst with excessive urination can be a sign of a variety of serious diseases so it's best to call and talk to your vet who may recommend a variety of tests to determine if there is an issue.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, and just mention the increased water intake to the vet, then they can check out his kidney values etc and make sure it's nothing important... let us know how it goes!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with having him checked by a vet. Kidney failure and diabetes are the two things that immediately come to mind when talking about excessive thirst, but in reality it could be nothing. Bottom line is, you won't know for sure until you have him checked out.

Ishani Birch

Savannah Super Cat
Yup, vets are also the best idea. I just didn't know if that's a sign of anything. Glad I checked here first, if I would have Googled it and things like kidney disease and diabetes came up I think I would have freaked! I booked at appointment for tomorrow evening, I'll update afterwards, it's probably/hopefully nothing.

Ishani Birch

Savannah Super Cat
So! Vitals are all good, weight is normal. Vet said he isn't dehydrated which is good to hear. Just to be sure I asked that we do a full blood and urine panel. I'll get the results Monday! I'm glad I took him in because this morning I noticed he had diarrhea, and also vomited. So hopefully nothing, but if it is something, we'll have caught it early