Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

eye ulcer

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Spent a couple hours at the emergency clinic this afternoon. Maliik was winking at me in an abnormal way and I never hesitate to get a vet check when it comes to eye issues. Regular vet was closed at 1 p.m. which is when I got home and noticed the problem.

It is a superficial wound and he's wearing the cone of shame at the moment and looking as depressed as he possibly can.

Problem is, I'm supposed to put drops in his eye 3x/day for the next 5 days. I can't pick him up, I can't hold him. If I can't approach him and get it in his eye when he asleep, I don't know what I'm going to do.

Will talk to the regular vet tomorrow to see if she has suggestions. Emergency vet (who I dearly love) said to call him and maybe he can work something out. Don't know what that means -- maybe Maliik will have to stay at the vet until the treatment is completed.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle a cat that is unhandleable?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Do you have someone to help you with him or no? I think with a resistant cat and trying to put something in their eye...yikes!

And it is so important in some eye infections. I understand your concerns :-(

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
No one to help me that is willing to risk getting injured. This is the nightmare I was hoping would never happen but I knew it was unreasonable to hope that something that needed hands on treatment would not happen during the lifetime of this cat.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Only thing I can think to do right now is ask for a sedative pill that I can give him 2x a day that will make him groggy enough for me to get the drops in. Don't know if that's healthy for him. Will have a talk with the vet tomorrow.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
A sedative might be your best option, will he take pills for you? I had a rescue that I actually had to shoot liquid sedative into his mouth to get it down - fortunately he hissed and growled enough that he was an easy shot. It's certainly not ideal, but the alternative (worsening ulceration can lead to loss of the eye in extreme cases) I would think is much worse.

Perhaps the ER vet is thinking he can gas Maliik down to medicate him. I had to do that with a cat who busted his leg and needed splint changes a couple times a week. It wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Weighing the benefit to risk, I would consider a sedative. The cat needs to just chill anyway, I am sure you are separating Maliik from the other cats during the convalescence. Good luck. These furballs drive us crazy.
Get healthy Maliik.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
He's at the vet this morning. He got enough of the collar undone that it was causing him distress so I took him in so they could take it off, stain the eye again and see what progress was made from yesterday. If he still needs drops, he'll stay at the vet the next couple days. Poor baby was so distressed yesterday it broke my heart. He calmed down after a few hours and sat with his head hanging down. I let Juba into the room for a bit to comfort him because Maliik was very upset that he couldn't be with Juba.

Juba did his usual great job of giving him head butts and it went a long way toward calming Maliik down enough to where he was comfortable spending the night alone in the office.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Wow - poor Malik! Glad to hear he is at least at the vet where he will get the drops and hope his eye heals soon...poor baby!!!!

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Not sure if it is possible, but is there anyway to securely wrap him in a blanket, support him with your legs while you add the drops? I have had to do that with cats before with similar medications. Not my first choice, but it is a choice.