Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F2's ok for kids?

Cheeto's Keeper

Savannah Teenager
I know that every cat will be different. I know that not all F2's will have the same amount of Serval blood. I know that how you raise the kitten will make a difference. But, in general, is there anyone out there that has a Savannah of a higher generation F1 or F2 who has had a great experience with raising your Savannah with children? Bonded to children, careful with children? If so, what do you think the difference was? If the answer is the breeding (who was that breeder?) and I am sure you have to count that in, what else do you think lent to your success? I am considering getting a higher generation Savannah next year as a companion for Cheeto but unsure about the generation due to having 6 and 8 year old sons. They love Cheeto but carry her around, get in her face, sleep with her, etc. She is an F5.
Also, is there any reason to continue with a female over male? They would both be fixed of course as they are/would be pets. Don't males spray? More aggressive at times? Play harder?
Anyway, I know this is a lot to ask and talk about. Answers short and/or long are appreciated. Thank you!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
My son was a bit older when I brought my first Savannahs home (F1 and F2) but I would be more worried about younger children, e.g., under six years of age. Personally, I think the success of introducing an early generation Savannah into your family depends as much on the children as it does on the cat. Children must be able to respect a cat and know that when it wants to be put down to put it down, and when it doesn't want to be bothered to leave it alone. They also need to pick up after themselves - put their toys away, put their clothes away, put their homework away, etc. All of these things can become Savannah toys, and not only could this upset the children when their favorite toy is destroyed, but it could be very costly to your pocketbook if the cat swallows part of a toy and develops a bowel obstruction.

I think it will be very important that you communicate with whichever breeder you choose to work with so that they can evaluate the kittens and be able to help you select the one with the best personality to tolerate the younger folk in the family. As for male vs. female, in my experience, males are more laid back and easy going so might tolerate children better. Females actually tend to be the more independent, curious and assertive of the two sexes, so may be less patient with children and their antics. Both males and females spray if kept intact, but if they are altered at a reasonable age - definitely before they start spraying - it is highly unlikely that they will ever start.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I agree with Patti, by the ages of 6 and 8 I would think your sons have been able to learn how to interact with your cat...they should know how to handle a cat properly and play with them safely. They should also be old enough to know that if they got scratched by a future kitten that they did something wrong and need to learn from that event.

I would not have a concern with an F2, and as Patti says maybe generally males are the more laidback and a good choice here. Male cats usually only spray when not fixed. I have two neutered males here, both were neutered before sexual maturity and neither have ever sprayed. It doesn't occur to them. The important thing would be to neuter and thus avoid all the effects of male hormones (aggression, marking behavior).

mandyloo

Savannah Super Cat
We have an f2 female, a 2 year old and a r year old. Lemme tell you, that cat is thier best friend if you looks at posts I have made you'll see all kinds of photos to ] prove just how well they can coexist. Yes, we've had to take extra care in teaching mango to retract claws, and yes there has been extra care in trying to teach the kids to give mango space. But I'd do it again in the blink of an eye. Absolutely doable.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
I still think Mango is an awesome girl, Mandy. And the picts with the kids are so heart warming. Love them. Co exist? More than that. Mango is their sister from another mother. :)

T

The Kasbah

I have had nothing but good experiences out of my F1 and F2 kittens when it comes to them interacting with young children. Most Breeders will be vary wary if you indicate upfront that you have a household with young children...and help guide you to a kitten that is temperament appropriate for your situation. We certainly do and know that many of the other Breeds also embrace this practice.

We do not have human children of our own over here, but DO frequently have visitors with children to our home. Here is our F1 house pet, Saezar and one of his toddler friends during their very first visit. We have four of Saezar's sisters in our Breeding program and have been super pleased with their temperaments and the temperaments of their kittens.

Hope this helps some!

Attachments

• Ashleigh & Saezar.JPG
    Ashleigh & Saezar.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 31

Trish Allearz

I raise f2s up with kids. There has only been one girl I wouldn't have placed in a family household with tiny kids. Most of you know that girl ;)

Sent from my so called smartphone so all typos and bad advice can be blamed on said "smart" phone ;)

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
It might also be a good idea to buy from a breeder that has kids, so the cat is already acclimated to them.