Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

F3 Female Kitten...Extra Energy

We just came home with our F3 female a little over a week ago and although she seems to have taken to us right away she has much much more energy than we expected. This is our first savannah and she is an only pet. I've had kittens before and they were not even on the same level as her.
If she is not sleeping, she is playing....HARD...REALLY REALLY HARD. I'm sort of freaking out about being able to train her not to tear the house apart. The quarantine room has little in it damage aside from the curtains which have been put up out of her reach. But when she gets in another room she goes wild and scratches furniture and plays and gets so stimulated that she tries to scratch us (hands and heads). Will she calm down some with age? Will she calm down some when she gets spayed? We just aren't sure at this point we can handle this afterall and if she needs to get rehomed, it is probably best we do it before she gets too attached to us and vice versa. What can we expect with her energy levels as she matures?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It completely depends on the individual kitten, and how much outlet for energy that kitten has...AND what level your expectations were at. Savannah kittens ARE very high in energy, just read the stories on this forum... and yes, often way higher than the average kitten.

I think that they do maybe calm "a little" as they get older but the thing we love about the Savannah breed is that they don't grow out of this high energy playfulness like a domestic cat does when it reaches a year old. So it is possible that she may never calm as much as you would like.

Additionally, she may well need a companion kitty to bounce off of to be calmer... I have sold kittens to homes without another pet but we always discuss the possibility that the kitten may need a companion to be happy.

To help her "calm" down, try to get her running and jumping after wand toys... she needs to expend that energy so that she isn't so crazy climbing curtains, etc. It may not resolve it, she is a Savannah so they do like to climb and explore, but it should at least help...

I guess our expectation was that she would be an energetic cat that liked to play, but not every single waking moment and so with so much vigor. She has endless energy and will chase after her wand toy as long as we can go with it. She literally plays herself to sleep....will play so hard for so long that she just plops down and goes to sleep in what seems like seconds. Then she wakes up, takes about a minute to look around then gets a bite to eat and then its back to the playing.

I am sick to my stomach at the thought of rehoming her and the impact this will have on her, but again we just aren't sure we can control this kitten and if she maintains this level of energy as an adult size cat then we are really in for it. Do they ever sit still for even a second? When we visited the breeder, the adult savannahs were not acting like this, not even close. They wanted to be petted and were playful but not like this. She will almost knock herself out playing with a toy on our wood floor by flopping around on it so hard. I really don't want to give up on her....

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I find mine are very active cats, BUT they have each other to play with and expend that energy. Your kitten doesn't have anyone so has to make her own "fun".

I describe them as ADHD children that can make amazing leaps... they DO get into trouble, they make us very tidy and our house has been completely revamped since getting them to pretty much adjust to what works with them in mind.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Welcome..... to savannah life! I'm guessing you only just discovered this forum. I have a couple of F3 brothers one year apart. But I started with a F5 female. Energy? Oh, yeah! Big time! Do they uh.... slow down a bit. Yeah, they do. Do they get to the point the amphetamines wear off? Varying degrees.
Use the search function and search the keyword "Chongo". You will see tales about a particularly active F3.
Mine are brothers to this cat. I can say they definitely are easier when they get older. They are still active, but the shenanigans are not as frequent. But if there is one thing that helped, it was another cat to distract / play / wrestle / entertain / chase them. Active rescue / adopted cats work well. Savannahs usually are quite social with other breeds, as long as they are active. My son has a real active cat that a domestic buddy has worked out well.
You didn't mention the age of the cat. I'm guessing you have a kitten, as you are describing a kitten perfectly.
My F5 is now 8 years old and loves to run around the house, but will sit on laps when the mood strikes.
My eldest F3 is is now 4 years old and has just started to sit on a lap occasionally. He is somewhat shy, and is not always in high gear.
The youngest F3 is now 3 years old. Still has a lot of energy, loves to chase the other cats, but is just starting to mature.
They still all love to play. But in a few weeks you will discover their unique personality and intelligence. I guarantee you will be amazed and bond strongly to this new addition. You have all of us on this forum to help and guide you through the early challenges. We all have been there and done that.
Read the boards. You will discover most of us have multiple savannahs. There is a reason.
Relax a bit. Enjoy the antics. This will be the best cat you have ever had! It will be a wonderful journey together.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
First off, don't take this personally, but I have some real concerns here.....what if your new baby never settles down to the quiet cat you saw in the adult cats at the breeder's? Some of my older Savannahs (4 years +) DO mellow out somewhat with age, and especially with some visitors, but others are just as active as they were when they were kittens.

I agree with Brigitte that another high energy kitten, and it doesn't have to be a Savannah, would help expel some of the energy she is showing towards you, her only playmate :) The truth is: any kitten is playful; Savannahs are a tad, or more often, a LOT more active.

The fact that she has been with you just a week, and you are concerned and freaking out that she is playing so hard, and you ask if she can be "controlled", makes me think that maybe a Savannah is not the right cat for you. Again, my apologies if this seems harsh, but I am still reeling over two F8 kittens I sold last year to a young couple who seemed so perfect in every way. They had done the research, waited until they were ready to purchase a Savannah kitten or two, visited my home and the kittens frequently, and loved how very active they were and seemed to be the right fit for the girls. Imagine my surprise and dismay when they contacted me a month later and wanted to rehome them asap...the kittens, in their eyes, were just too active, too naughty, too smart, and they were worried about their decor getting damaged. I did not see that coming at all. It seems the girls were messing up the throw rugs and playing with the fringe on the lamps, all typical kitten behavior, and the owners did not want to remove the objects of fascination and thus remove temptation until the girls were older. And these were F8B kittens, not a higher generation! The kittens found another home with my help where their activity level and energy were expected and appreciated. This whole situation still bothers me immensely, as I have always felt I could get a good feel for kitten customers and whether a Savannah was the right cat for them or not....

Have you spoken with the breeder about your concerns with your kitten? I am of the opinion that if you are feeling apprehension and regret right now, after a week, it would be in the best interest of the kitten to go back to the breeder and into another home. Or....you could try to work it out, get her a playmate, and accept your Savannah kitten for what she is now, and adjust your hopes and realizations about her possibly forever being a very active, intelligent, playful and beautiful cat:)

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
If you can find this.... cmiyc.jpg
And not the yellow cover item named "Undercover Kitty" (which can NOT handle a savannah kitten), you could help the kitten wear herself out, provided you can afford some batteries. The boys destroyed the yellow cover version in no time at all. (Save the receipt.) The blue one is going strong almost 2 years now.

Pam Flachs raised some points worthy of consideration. This board has many breeders with considerable experience with these cats. I agree that a conversation with your breeder would be of great value. My breeder was able to relate tendencies within the paired breeding that was quite helpful. In fairness, we asked for a full brother to Rascal as he is amazing. His brother Mayhem is more of a handful, but as I said, maturing nicely.

I have went ahead and posted an add in the kittens for sale area so if you know anyone that is looking for a kitten that can give her a better home please have them contact me. We are in Kansas. We researched Savannahs and talked about getting one for over a year and thought we were making the right decision but we feel she deserves better. We are just not ready for this - very hard to admit, very sorry to admit but I do care about the kitten I know its in her best interest to be rehomed and done ASAP while she is still a kitten and not super attached to us yet. I feel extremely terrible about this and hope you all can understand and agree that this will be best for her.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I have went ahead and posted an add in the kittens for sale area so if you know anyone that is looking for a kitten that can give her a better home please have them contact me. We are in Kansas. We researched Savannahs and talked about getting one for over a year and thought we were making the right decision but we feel she deserves better. We are just not ready for this - very hard to admit, very sorry to admit but I do care about the kitten I know its in her best interest to be rehomed and done ASAP while she is still a kitten and not super attached to us yet. I feel extremely terrible about this and hope you all can understand and agree that this will be best for her.
I am SO sorry to read this :( I was really hoping that by your posting for help that it would work out, and we would be seeing you post pics and an update down the road....but ultimately you yourself know what is in the best interest for you and the kitten. I commend you for that.

You HAVE to contact the breeder first before you can rehome her yourself.....I am sure it will be in her contract that the breeder is contacted, and most likely the breeder will take her back. Don't be embarrassed....we breeders understand when a kitten does not work out despite everyone's best intentions.....

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Make sure that you contact the breeder before listing! I know that my contract is not that different from other breeders and requires that you contact me before placing the kitten! Given it was only a week ago, most breeders would want to take the kitten back...probably resell and give you the proceeds. Not sure if she can be resold for what you bought her, but you can work that out with the breeder...