Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

F3 Female Weight at 12 weeks

entrepyas

Savannah Child
I took her to the vet today and they said she seeemd very light at exactly 3 lbs. They said it might be normal for the breed.

Is it normal for an F3 female to only be 3 lbs at 12 weeks?

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
I took her to the vet today and they said she seeemd very light at exactly 3 lbs. They said it might be normal for the breed.

Is it normal for an F3 female to only be 3 lbs at 12 weeks?
That depends on the lines. Typically females are smaller than their male litter mates. And average F3 females as adults are about the same weight as a regular domestic, but a little longer and maybe taller. Typical Weight gain for a domestic kitten is about a pound a month so she's right about on track. The main thing is if she's eating normally and gaining weight, and looks healthy.

My F3 Girl has been bigger than her male litter mates since birth, and she was a little over 5 pounds at 3 months. But she has big lines behind her so it's not really surprising.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
As DumaLove says, the rule is a pound a month. Anything less than that and you might be concerned. Females are generally smaller than males hence you would more expect a male to weigh more than 3lbs at 12 weeks than his littermate sister.

I'm sure that you know that it is a myth that all Savannahs are huge cats...