Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feedback before buying an F6

Princeton

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Everyone

Sorry if many mistakes I am French Canadian :)

I need to find a new feline. I just had a Bengal for a month but I had to send it away because he was screaming too often (the breeder found him a new home better suit to his needs, he is now an happy, with the perfect family, so it was a good decision). I send it away because it's easier to find a new home when the cat is still a kitty, I would of keep it otherwise but wanted to give him a family to make him happy because he was so sweet, adorable, loving and caring. I miss him very much.

Having said that, I have now the possibility between a Bengal or savannah from the same awesome breeder.

I always believed I will be getting a bengal however one little savannah F6 may have stole my heart. I visit him last Saturday with his two brothers (they are call the three Musketeers, I am seeking to buy Porthos).

My brother just got a savannah from the same breeder same parents, but different litter. He really enjoy the character of his cat and they is lot's of hope the Savannah I'm seeking will be has good.

However this litter is really different. Even the breeder was surprised because they don't look like the other Savannah cats she produced. She said he look SBT (even so he is not). I'm still confused with that term.

I know the most important thing with a cat is the character, the connection and in the end how beautiful we think the cat his. But I am wondering if the cat I am seeking look like a Savannah. Like I said he is really cute, but I feel he look more like a regular tabby than a savannah and less wild looking. is it because he is still a baby? Or because I don't know the breed enough? It's easier for me to see how a Bengal look like the ALC. I don't really see the Serval in this Savannah.

The kitty will be ready in four week. He was born on October 29th, 2013. He will be registered with TICA, neutered and he will received two completed vaccines and a two year warranty for congenital problems.

The breeder said she never had any return, complaint or behavioural problems. She said the bengal is more unpredictable, behavioural or nervousness doesn't happen, but are more commons. For this reason, she recommend me to buy a Savannah or wait for the next litter.

What do you think of this purchase? See link below
http://f2savannahcat.wordpress.com/porthos-reserved/

Thanks for your help.
Sébastien

Trish Allearz

I'm confused-- was this an early generation Bengal? An F1 or F2 or?

Because if it was just a normal Bengal kitten, I hate to say it, but Savannahs can be needy little screamers too. Some are quiet, some are very vocal. Some really need constant interaction and some are much quieter in behavior.

As far as the kitten goes-- if you are not satisfied with what's being offered, then I'd wait. Wait until the right kitten comes that is made for you versus simply getting a kitten now because you feel like you need one this minute. You'll be happier in the long run if you wait for the one that calls to you versus otherwise.

Princeton

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Trish !
Thanks for your reply :)

My bengal was a Charcoal Bengal F6. I never seen a cat scream like that. His sister was also a bit the same so basically the mother will not have any more babies. She was fixed two weeks ago or so. Seems like she makes nervous babies so they scream because they are scared. Otherwise it was the perfect cat. I never seen a cat loving human like he was. He was active and playful, but he was also the perfect lap cat. Always on me when I was watching TV, under my desk when I am doing homework,loving me and being so loyal. However, has soon I was not in the same room he cried or scream and I was scared to received complaints from neibourgh. He was also really difficult with food. My breeder took him for a few days to make some tests and she have been able to fix a few issues. However she told me he is louder than most of her cats from the breed, maybe due to his charcoal gene. She realized also her charcoal are louder than other colors. So she offered me to exchange it. She found a bigger family for him so he could always interact with humans.

I can take all the time I needed to find a new one and she invite me last weekend to visit her new bengal and savannah litter.

I am actually really happy with the cat currently offered by the breeder. I could also get a bengal almost perfect to my taste, so beautiful, however I really like the baby savannah but I am not sure about how he will grow old.

I know more about Bengal then Savannah so I am just wondering how he will grow old and if he has the savannah look.

Savannah is a new breed and I am not sure what's expected from a F6.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I honestly find it hard to believe that the color of the cat influences it's talkativeness... but it is possible that the individual cats this breeder has in its program that produce the charcoals might be more vocal.

My Savannahs are not very talkative, but then I probably have selected for less vocal cats as I find that annoying. Mine cry when they have a reason, but in general are not continually yowling as it sounds like your kitten was.

I think that hopefully your breeder, now that she is aware of the issue, should be able to steer you towards the right kitten. If she says that Porthos is a good choice then maybe he is. If you don't feel he looks Servally enough, ask your breeder what makes her think he is so...she should be able to explain what makes him a good example of his breed.

it's probably important to realize that what Savannah breeders are focusing on at this stage of our breed's development is structure...so shape versus coloring. So not so much flashy gold colors as much as the really angular faces with huge upright ears and good leggy lean bodies... so the coloring might not seem as exciting as the Bengal kittens but there are other things that make a Savannah not your average domestic tabby.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I am also a bit confused - you say he is F6 but not SBT even though the breeder says he looks SBT (which should look more like a serval because that indicates a minimum of three generations of Savannah to Savannah breeding) but he doesn't look like her other Savannahs? In what way does he look different? What is his code (A, B, C), who are his parents? Take a look at the parents because he will probably have qualities that come from both of them and so can give you an idea of how he will turn out. Also, look at the baby pictures of your brother's Savannah, that might help you see what characteristics may develop similarly, as well as those that are different (and decide if those differences are important to you).

He is a very young kitty so really impossible to tell how he will turn out - personality or looks wise - without looking at the parents and older siblings. If your interactions with him has tugged at your heartstrings then perhaps he is the one for you. However if things like looks and size are just as important to you then you might want to wait a few more weeks to see how he develops (I usually say you can't tell how a kitten will turn out until they are at least 4-5 months old, however I know when you are 'shopping' it is almost impossible to wait that long because they are snatched up by someone else). Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Hi Sébastien, welcome to SVCC!
I have three SV boys.
They are not quiet.
Our F5, D, is a yowler and a talker. Our F3 boy, Jarvis, is a whiner and a talker. Our F4 boy, Mickey, is also a whiner and a talker.
What do I mean by that? Our house isn't quiet. They will "talk" to us when they want to play. D will "yowl" every time he sees a squirrel or a bunny outside, which is frequent, or when he wants something he isn't getting. Jarvis and Mickey will whine for food and attention. At any given time, one of them is making noise.
Not everyone's cats are loud, but mine are.
There are quiet SVs, but I don't have one. If you are not touching D, and he is awake, he is going to make noise at least half the time. Same with Jarvis. Mickey is a little quieter, but not much. They also walk/whine/yowl at each other.

Princeton

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks everyone for your input. :) I've been loving reading all your comments. Some comments you point out made me think a lot.

Brigitte, you are right it's hard to believe. The owner doesn't believe it either. However the person living with the cats notice something different with charcoals. It's currently to soon to say he scream because he was a charcoal, however the breeder will now spend extra time to analyses if new charcoals react the same way with different mothers. It may just be a coincidence. However, your explanation make so much sense. The daddy gave all his look to his offspring but I think the mother gave the character.

Patti my brother savannah is the orange ish in my avatar. With TiCA he is registered to have Savannah and Bengal foundation. But I dont know if he is A, B or C. Just know he is an F6. You can notice the amazing contrast with lot's of rosettes. It will be hard to see how he will grow old.... because my brother cat has a baby was so different and his father is also really different. One think I notice however, my brother was really dark and he grow old with a bigger contrast, more orange but he lost his black nose growing old. This current litter was born orange but they are losing it. Previous litter all looked Savannah but they tent to looked like bengal growing old.

I've been looking around more savannah since two days ago and I realize I didn't know the breed. I was expecting them to have the same serval colour, and it's probably why I dont see the connection with the serval. However, like you point it out Brigitte it's not exactly what breeder focus on these days. I have never seen a cat walking with so much character than my brother savannah. When peoples meet his savannah they doesn't love him for his look but how he interact with humans.

I will wait a little to make my final decision to buy porthos or another cat because they just arrive at my breeder house last week. They spend two months with host family until they received proper vaccine to walk around the breeder house. I will wait my breeder know the temperament of each cat before making my final mind. However, I'm tempted at this point to choice the Porthos who I felt in love because my lifestyle really close of my brother and we live in place similar and his cat really happy, not destructive. inquisitive, really curious, he love making pranks (by exemple on weekend after 9AM he open the radio to let my brother know it's time to be awake). This is amazing.

Having said that, I'm thinking buying a second cat later on so my savannah (or bengal) could have a friend when I am not around. It was hard for my little Princeton being alone. This is why my brother visit me with his cat once a week so they could play together. I dont think I've seen something more beautiful than two cats playing together.

Raising three questions
1. Is it better one male and one female or doesnt really matter since they will be fix anyway.
2. Is there a perfect time to buy a new friend after buying the first one.
3. Will it be a good idea to make my new savannah and my brother savannah come together regularly? We did that because they were from the same breeder and they used to play together before we bought out cats. Is it difficult to make two cats play together when they never lived together. Or is it not good for a cat to give him a cat for a few hours and then take it away from him till the next visit?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Savannahs come in all sorts of colors and patterns (spotted, ticked/servaline, classic/marble, pointed/snow, black, blue, chocolate, cinnamon, etc.) and you are correct - this is not what makes it a Savannah.

As for your questions:
1. It doesn't really matter what sex you get as far as getting along, just be aware that girls tend to be more active and inquisitive, which means they get into trouble more frequently while the boys as a rule are more laid back and easy going.
2. There is no 'perfect time' to find a companion for your little guy - much will depend upon how quickly and how well he settles in with you. However, you definitely want him to bond with you before you consider getting another cat. This might mean a matter of weeks or several months. This is one of those things you will have to play by ear depending on the individual personality of your kitten.
3. It's never a good idea to 'make' two cats come together. If you would like them to get to know each other first follow my advice in #2 and wait until your kitten has settled in and has learned to love and trust you. Once you have gotten to that point you can consider introducing the other cat to him. There have been several threads about introducing new cats, the most recent being this one: http://www.savannahcatchat.com/threads/im-officially-a-crazy-cat-person-introducing-simba.3874/

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Raising three questions
1. Is it better one male and one female or doesnt really matter since they will be fix anyway.
2. Is there a perfect time to buy a new friend after buying the first one.
3. Will it be a good idea to make my new savannah and my brother savannah come together regularly? We did that because they were from the same breeder and they used to play together before we bought out cats. Is it difficult to make two cats play together when they never lived together. Or is it not good for a cat to give him a cat for a few hours and then take it away from him till the next visit?

1. It doesn't really matter when both are altered and there is only two cats to consider... although as Patti points out I have found the girls to be the more mischievous types :)
2. I think it better not to buy two at once unless you would prefer them to be more bonded to each other than to you. Otherwise, having one kitten and establishing your relationship with them first before adding another is preferable. And you may find that one kitty is actually quite content and doesn't need a "friend"...not all cats do so you might just wait and see...
3. I think over time having your brother's cat visit will likely not work well... unless this is a regular weekly event chances are as they mature they are going to forget that this was a kitten playmate and just react as if you are dumping a strange cat into their home and there will be tension and fights not play. I don't even know if a weekly visit will work long-term. Of course you can try and just monitor it, and be aware this may not continue to work great...

Lagrande

Savannah Child
Moi j'ai un Bengal de chez Shaghera depuis bientôt 4ans! Je l'adore il est presque parfait a part qu'il fait la vie dure à mon autre vieille chatte de 14 ans.
Si tu prend un savannah assure toi que ce sois 2 parents savannah. Je trouve sa bizarre car sur son site web elle a fiche son mâle Shango et ces femelles f1 mais aucune femelle "standard/sbt" est-ce quelle accouple Shango avec des femelles Bengal?

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 10 avec Tapatalk 4