Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Feeding cooked eggs

Sam

Savannah Super Cat
Hello All

Layla has an amazing appetite for food now all of the sudden after being spayed. Cant make sense of it, I am a bit alarmed as well since she is now also drinking water where before I never saw her drinking much water (she still only drinks a little but more than before). So this morning I made some eggs, she ate two cans of cat food back to back and for the first time she was begging for food from my plate, so I gave her eggs (small amount of salt but no pepper) and she ate it up and wanted more. I was searching to see if eggs are ok for cats, I am not sure if its ok for an SV. What do you guys thinks about feeding her one egg a day?

Sam

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you Deborah, that was helpful. Would two cooked eggs or raw egg yolk be ok daily?

Tarah

Mace's Mama
I was making hard-boiled eggs one night and Mace sneaked up behind me and snatched one up, shell and all. I chased him all over the place as he was growling at me trying to get it out of his mouth because I thought it would hurt him. In hindsight, it was actually kind of amusing having me run after this cat with an egg hanging out of his mouth, haha! I didn't realize cats liked eggs so much! It's so good to know that I can give him a little egg treat without worrying from now on, thanks for the insight!

Sunny

Loyal Servant
Thanks for the link! My breeder was giving Isis eggs in the morning besides her normal food and it's something I don't have too often, but think that yeah this might be a good way to balance out my meals by having breakfast if she enjoys them too!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I left a carton of eggs on the island bench once for about five minutes. I came back to a smashed egg mess on the floor and my F1 Nina lapping it up. Apparently she could tell even through the shell that it was egg and she wanted it!

I don't know about giving two cooked eggs at a time, that sounds like a pretty major proportion of the daily diet... guess if you added supplements though it would be okay?

Sam

Savannah Super Cat
To be on a safe side I guess one egg a day then. Something strange is happening Layla, she is now eating everything I put out for her so her diet now is all healthy food and less fancy feast :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
There's often no rhyme or reason to a cat :)

Plus they go through food phases just like a child can... and growth spurts that mean they are ravenous and more likely to eat anything offered...

Sam

Savannah Super Cat
There's often no rhyme or reason to a cat :)

Plus they go through food phases just like a child can... and growth spurts that mean they are ravenous and more likely to eat anything offered...

I agree, love watching her destroy food lol... the problem now is she is after whatever I am eating.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
And that is up to you on how you deal with that. We have always had a rule here of never feeding from our plates. We have a beagle and he would never let up if he thought there was a chance of that! So none of our cats think of begging or grabbing anything on our plate...