Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Feline Constipation

ZahrasHuman

Savannah Super Cat
Hi All,
So I am back again with another bathroom issue. Here we go or don't go which is the problem. Zahra (F2, 5 mo) has not pooped in several days. She continues to eat and remains happy healthy and playful, but I just realized we are now headed for a week. When we first got Zahra she was eating ground whole chicken thighs and did not poop for 5 days. After her first "success" she went every 3 to 4 days. Her bone in food ran out in California, and for lack of a better option at the timeI gave her plain ground boneless thighs with a supplement for two weeks until I could get my grinder and get back home to chicago. I am now grinding her whole thighs again. Her dad (my bf) came to visit and she has not gone since. She has had quite a bit of change in surroundings and some change in diet (with and without bones) which may be the problem, but I am wondering if anyone has some suggestions. She tried to poop today but failed is this a vet visit or is there a home remedy to try first?

ZahrasHuman

Savannah Super Cat
I should mention the "feline nutritionist" at petco was shocked that I was raw feeding a 5 month old cat and recommended kitten food (which Zahra hates) and milk replacement because my cat is dehydrated and too young for raw in her opinion. In all my reading it seems that kittens do fine on raw diets, even thrive. Am I off base here?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Are you sure she's not pooping somewhere you haven't discovered yet? LOL. Sorry, didn't mean to laugh but she does have some potty quirks. Yes, the diet and location changes as well as the sometimes absent boyfriend could contribute to constipation.

Have you tried adding water to her food as it's served? Maybe slurry it up bit if she isn't adverse to soupier food?

You can try mixing in 1/4 tsp pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) to her meals for 3-days. Good source of fiber.

Do you ever see her drink water? If you don't already have one, a water fountain (like the Glacier Point) might entice her to drink.

Most important -- you mention grinding meat & bone but not organ meat. The diet isn't balanced without organ meat and this surely would contribute to constipation and other issues.

ZahrasHuman

Savannah Super Cat
Are you sure she's not pooping somewhere you haven't discovered yet? LOL. Sorry, didn't mean to laugh but she does have some potty quirks. Yes, the diet and location changes as well as the sometimes absent boyfriend could contribute to constipation.

Have you tried adding water to her food as it's served? Maybe slurry it up bit if she isn't adverse to soupier food?

You can try mixing in 1/4 tsp pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) to her meals for 3-days. Good source of fiber.

Do you ever see her drink water? If you don't already have one, a water fountain (like the Glacier Point) might entice her to drink.

Most important -- you mention grinding meat & bone but not organ meat. The diet isn't balanced without organ meat and this surely would contribute to constipation and other issues.
Lol, Believe me Deborah I have been scouring the house looking for "gifts" nothing found . I witnessed her try to poop and fail today which is why I am positive she is constipated. I grind in 1/4 lb of hearts and gizzards (no liver out of concern for the arsenic levels found in chicken liver) for every 2 lbs of chicken thighs. The gizzards are new for her but she loves it, and all of her food has always been chicken, so I am hoping her food is consistent enough not to be the cause of her troubles. She did have a bit of diarrhea the last time she pooped. The stool was a bit runny. Her food is pretty watery already and she drinks water consistently an does one to two LARGE urinations per day.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Try the pumpkin but keep a close eye on her just in case there's something more brewing than diarrhea such as a blockage. If she doesn't have a normal poop within the next 24 hrs., I suggest a trip to the vet.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Deborah, you can give plain pumpkin and/or psyllium (flavorless Metamucil) with her meals but if she is straining and not going it sounds like she's constipated and may need something stronger. Constipation can lead to other (worse) complications so if it's been a week I'd take her in to be checked out by a vet.

ZahrasHuman

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks guys. If I can't get things moving by tomorrow I will definitely take her in. She is really throwing me off with how lively and healthy she seems for a cat that can't poop. Hopefully it is nothing serious, and just a case of adjusting with all the changes.

kabuki

Savannah Super Cat
Butter in food , less bones or refrains same food again. Enema Can be done too worse same to worse.if her area is sore and whines when trying is a
Problem then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kabuki

Savannah Super Cat
Enema if worst came to worst. I had same problem cause change if diet too quickly. Always have water available. Regrind food to lessen bones. Rad cat food is good for getting regular. It's runny food, it can help. If cat is whiny when trying a bm not good. Need vet to help w enema.

ZahrasHuman

Savannah Super Cat
Enema if worst came to worst. I had same problem cause change if diet too quickly. Always have water available. Regrind food to lessen bones. Rad cat food is good for getting regular. It's runny food, it can help. If cat is whiny when trying a bm not good. Need vet to help w enema.

Thanks Kabuki! I actually reground her food on a finer setting this afternoon. I have also begun using a little olive oil today along with the pumpkin. Several sites made the olive oil recommendation. She does not cry when she uses the litterbox, I am hoping for a bm tomorrow :poop:. If not it will be off to the vet for us.