Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Female Savannah urinates straight out

NoDoubter22

Savannah Child
Hi, I have an F5 female Savannah, she is a year old. We have a high back litter box due to her urinating straight out instead of squatting. She will get into the litter box and squat, when she starts peeing her but will start raising up and the urine ends up going straight out onto the wall. She does squat sometimes and pees directly into the litter but she usually doesn't. She does not have a urine infection or anything else. She started doing this at about 6 months old on and off so I'm not sure how to make this stop, the urine gets under the box when it runs off the wall. Ive also tried pushing her butt down when she pees so she learns to stay squatting but it doesn't work. Do you know why she might do this? Please help, I need some tips! Thanks so much!

SuperCuteHolly.jpg This is the little squirt Holly Peño =)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
She is adorable!! Is she spayed? Sounds like she is starting to spray. In any case (not knowing what kind of litterbox you have) I would use a large (e.g., 18 gallon) Sterlite or Rubbermaid tote, cut a hole in one end, and leave the lid on so that she can't spray outside of it. Be sure it is tall enough so that she can stand up in it. Some cats do not like not being able to see around them, in this case you can get a clear tote and/or cut a large hole in the lid (e.g., leave just a 4 inch or so rim) so that she can stick her head out and look around. If you do this, you don't have to cut a hole in the side, but might have to anchor the box so that she doesn't knock it over.

NoDoubter22

Savannah Child
Thank you, she is adorable. She actually is spayed so that's why I think its weird. Ive heard
of doing the rubbermaid bin thing but I don't think my mom will let me have a huge bin like that, she loves her nice bathroom and wouldn't like the look of it...crazy haha so I'm not sure what I can do about it from here. Let me know if you know of anything else that might work. Thanks for the reply!

Krystal

Alicia

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you, she is adorable. She actually is spayed so that's why I think its weird. Ive heard
of doing the rubbermaid bin thing but I don't think my mom will let me have a huge bin like that, she loves her nice bathroom and wouldn't like the look of it...crazy haha so I'm not sure what I can do about it from here. Let me know if you know of anything else that might work. Thanks for the reply!

Krystal
No offense, but I would think she would dislike pee spayed on her walls even more.... The lesser of two evils so to speak :)
Other than a covered litterbox or tote I can't think of anything to help with that.....

Karen

Savannah Adult
One of my females does the same at times and the tote helps. I am not crazy about the appearance of the tote either (wish they came in nicer colors), but it beats having pee on the wall that is behind the pan.

NoDoubter22

Savannah Child
True, maybe ill try the tote, we use bags for the current litter box, do you think we could use a garbage bag or something that will prevent the urine from going on the bottom of the tote, we don't want to have to wash it each time when changing it.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I have a male savannah cat who does the same thing...

You have two choices...use a covered box or the sterilite/rubbermaid tote...you can get creative and paint the bin and put decals on it to make it more presentable...

Many cats do not like those litter box bags or whatever they are called...they like to dig and dig, so maybe that is your issue...she may not like the bags you have in the current litter box.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Well, I guess it depends on how much you (or your mother) want to spend. You can always consider somthing like these:

http://www.petco.com/product/106159...ts-_-1108255&gclid=CMmypMH9x7sCFRRefgodfAkAxA

http://www.atgstores.com/end-tables...-DfgodHVAAYA&gclsrc=aw.ds&linkloc=reCanonical

http://www.chewy.com/cat/mr-herzher...illa&utm_medium=cse&utm_content=Mr. Herzher's

I would still put a plastic covered tote inside, rather than your traditional litterbox, otherwise you'll be cleaning the inside of it everyday as well.

maalleh

Savannah Super Cat
I got a Clever Cat litter box from Petco when I got my SV. It's a deep tub with a cover that has a big round hole for kitty, easy to scoop. It's gray in color. I also have a litter-robot which the cats and I prefer. Good luck with your retromingent kitty. I have seen big cats in sanctuaries pee straight out. Perhaps this behavior is a throw back to wild genes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD