Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Finding a Good Veterinarian

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
I am a new owner of a baby F3 Savannah kitten. (http://www.savannahcatchat.com/threads/hello-new-owner-meet-leopold.2921/). I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on how go about finding a good vet. I live in Tampa, Florida and am relatively new to the area. I don't believe any of my friends have animals. I could simply go to the nearest one in my area, but I was hoping there might be a better way.

Edit: I found this place pretty much next door to my place that looks very promising.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/carrollwood-cat via http://www.healthypet.com/ AAHA Certified

admin

Paige
Staff member
Matt, did you look on the thread with veterinarians by state?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
Matt, did you look on the thread with veterinarians by state?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yes I did, but had no luck in the thread. The place I listed offers the first checkup for free and they specify in cats, so I will give them a try.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I take our kitties to a VCA hospital. The office I go to has a vet who deals with exotic cats, and sees all to the Savannah's. That said, Mickey has seen every vet there, but all of the vets he has seen have been very kind to him (we are in NJ).

I will tell you, I am a bit OCD, but my boys have all had a full bloodworm panel, and while they were still kittens, they were seen every month. My boys are 10 months (Mickey), 15 months (Jarvis), and almost 2 (d- he turns two in July). I have had good experiences with both the exotic cat vet and all three of the other doctors at the VcA hospital where I take our boys.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Before making an appointment you should call and ask if any of the vets there take care of exotics, or if they are experienced with hybrid cats. If it is important to you or specified in your contract ask what kind of vaccines they give (killed or modified live) and what kind of anesthetic they use when altering cats. No point in wasting your money on a vet visit then finding they are 'incompatible' with your pets!

admin

Paige
Staff member
I don't agree with Patti...the vet does NOT need to be experienced with exotic animals...savannah cats are NOT exotic cats...they are cats...if your contract specifies killed vaccines though, you can ask that...if no specification, you can use either modified live or killed...for the most part, especially if the vet is cat specific, there will be no issues...my vet had never taken care of a savannah cat before me and now he takes care of many. But there was never an issue, because...savannahs are cats...

Now if it was a serval, then yes, an exotic vet would be recommended. My vet is now taking care of F1's as well...JMO!

M

macmanmatty

I would look at reviews online for the vets you plan to use. Most savannahs don't need an exotic vet. But I would recommend one for a f1 though.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Looking online at vets is really tough. A lot of people in angst with a pets passing write things that they probably think better of later. Reviews of our vet include being chastised for things as silly as having to wait for their appointment because another animal was undergoing emergency care.

Unfortunately, most people just don't post their good experiences and the good nature of their vet. It's expected, and while people may love them to death, they'll really post about it.

For us, we sought out the advice of people who work the PAWS organization and found out where they take their cats. It was the right call and I'm happy despite a 45 minute drive. With 3 other animal hospitals within 5 minutes from our home it's definitely not the most convenient place to go but she really takes great care of our pets and they are all far more comfortable with her than her contemporaries.

I also agree with Paige, an F2 or lower generation doesn't need any special care that can't be provided by a regular vet.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
You misunderstand the reason for my question, and I realize I didn't clarify it. Savannahs are definitely just like any other cat breed when it comes to veterinarian care, but not all veterinarians or veterinarian offices feel that way. Many do not ask for the breed of cat before you actually come in, others have never heard of Savannahs until you explain to them. By asking these questions it helps you sort out the exotic/hybrid friendly from the exotic/hybrid phobic. I've heard more than a few stories of people taking their Savannahs in to see a new vet and being treated like they were in possession of a dangerous wild animal.

John Popp

Site Supporter
That makes a lot more sense Patti. If they have an aversion to caring for your cat, they certainly aren't the place to go. Playing through in my head the vets we have used over the years and assuming no prior knowledge of the breed, I can for sure see a third that wouldn't care for an SV, and another third that would give me reservations about using their services. The rest I would have complete confidence in without having any specific knowledge of the breed.