Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Fip scare

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I just got word that loki's sister the one he was so dearly bonded to passed this past week. She was put to sleep due to some major issues that seemed to progress over time. I was not told this by the breeder but by someone locally whom does business with my breeder.
She got skinny refused to eat eventually had a fever diarhea and looked jaundiced. Was told she had unrepairable liver damage and was going to die soon. They put her down. The doctor is currently running autopsy and additional bloodwork to see what happened. They both think it was fip especially since she never grew she just stayed small. Because of her size she was never bred and they were thinking about selling her or keeping as just a pet then this happened. The breeders husband doesn't seem to beleive her and if anything was against looking further into it, but the breeder herself is just heartbroken. here are some more details the kitten was approx 7 months old was initially on solid gold indigo moon. Was sent to her as a future breeding queen because the breeder has yet to find a home for her and just wanted to get her to a more suitable home as they will send extra kittens to her to rehome when they have them beyond a certain age. My Loki bear was almost sent to her but she didn't have the money for him as a stud. The breeder had a recent outbreak of coccidia and we were all notified. Would something like that cause these symptoms? Also te kitten was switched to blue buffalo wilderness kibble because the solid gold was too expensive since none of the local stores carried it. The same food my Loki bear had for a bit and just didn't agree with him causing diarhea and lethargy. She ate raw and cooked chicken as well. My Loki bear is back on the solid gold by itself so that I could normalize his bowel movements. I am beginning to worry he may have fip since I looked up symptoms. He is a big boy and a healthy size. Is not having weight problems. And still plays with Rasputin most of the day. However I noticed today the poops I thought were rasputins small poo was actually lokis and that he is. Constipated. I have heard both him and Rasputin sneeze a couple of times not enough to be alarming but now I am alarmed by it. I looked and it seems there is no certain test for it. Combining that with his past litter issues with peeing random places. And he drinks a lot of wAter I usually need to fill the bowl two to three times a day. Could it be something else? What can I do? And how are things like these usually handled I know there is no cure if he does have it

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Patti

Admin
Staff member
First of all you need to take a deep breath, sit tight, and wait for the necropsy report on Loki's sister. Many things can cause the symptoms you describe, none of them make me think FIP.

I don't remember what kind of bowel problems Loki had, or exactly why you think he is constipated now. If he is having BMs every day then I wouldn't worry about constipation. If he is straining and passing very hard stool then he might be constipated - which is odd if he is really drinking that much water. However, if that's the case you can add a bit of fiber to his diet such as psyllium (unflavored Metamucil) to help this.

As for his sneezing, I'm not sure why you would say there is no test for it, you can run a URD panel, it tests for all the significant upper respiratory diseases and can help you decide what, if any treatment he needs.

Please keep us posted on the necropsy report. And remember that FIP is a random disease that strikes willy-nilly so even if his sister had it, that doesn't mean that Loki does. My one experience with FIP was in a kitten from a litter of four - none of the siblings, nor the kittens from subsequent litters ever developed FIP.

D

Dantes

And remember that FIP is a random disease that strikes willy-nilly so even if his sister had it, that doesn't mean that Loki does. My one experience with FIP was in a kitten from a litter of four - none of the siblings, nor the kittens from subsequent litters ever developed FIP.
Just to emphasize this point, a friend adopted ragdoll siblings from my ragdoll's breeder (highly respected breeder, I might add). One of the siblings got FIP very quickly after arrival and passed away, while the other, months (maybe close to a year?) later is just fine. Coincidentally, the reason my friend got the two kittens was that she had a kitten die of FIP 6 months prior. FIP really does seem to be a random thing, and might have come from anywhere, meaning the breeder's house may be clear and maybe the kitten contracted it during transit or in her new home. It seems to be one of those things that you can't control, but if you stay calm and make sure your kitten is not stressed, you're doing the right things.

Loki will be fine. :)

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I just want to make sure he is healthy. And there seems to be so many questions that many can't answer about it. he hasn't been pooping daily. Example his litter box is clean currently and was clean until pooty just dropped a deuce when I came home. Pooty is funny like that and waits until someone is in the room to watch him ? Idk he's a crazy cat. I put 2 capsules of psyllium in their food bowls last night. I used it before when the blue buffalo didn't seem to agree with him. Wish I still had some pumpkin. I stopped with the probiotics should I start those again just to be onthe safe side? I wasn't sure if him being on kibble alone would be too much combined with probiotics. I know you can get testing for corona virus but of they test positive they could have fip and they may not or it could lay dormant for years or never show up. i would be heart broken if both cats had it. I'm trying to sum it all up with web md syndrome and tell myself that every thing is just fine. But it's that worried mama bear instinct I just want to be sure as I can be they will be fine. And do you guys have any ideas of the symptoms that his sister showed being caused by something else?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
There is no harm in giving probiotics unless the only thing you think is wrong is that he's constipated, in which case I doubt probiotics will help. As far as having the corona virus, I would guess you have a 90% chance that both cats have it, probably 100% if the sibling did have FIP. However, as has already been said, having the corona virus is a benign problem for 95+% of cats infected.

It's pointless to speculate at this point what alternative diagnoses Loki's sister may have had - and potentially devastating to the owners if they realize they may have put her down unnecessarily. Just wait for the necropsy and see what it says.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Probiotics helped with diarhea wasn't sure it would help constipation. And that's what I thought. The corona virus test wouldn't do much to help me since there's no telling if anything would happen anyways. And thank you for your help. Patiently trying to wait for more info. while Loki and pooty are as active as ever running over me on the bed, makes me feel better seeing them so playful . But darn it's getting late I gotta work early tomorrow

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
As Patti says, the Coronavirus test is NOT diagnostic for FIP, it merely tells you if the cat has been exposed to the Coronavirus...which is a benign gastrointestinal virus for almost all cats. Only a very small proportion of cats will develop FIP and there is indication of a fault in the immune system being related to susceptibility to this. That Loki's sister failed to thrive may indicate that her immune system was not great, hence she was susceptible...IF it is FIP which it very well may not be. Liver damage might point to a liver shunt (portosystemic shunt)...http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_resources/PortosystemicShunt.cfm... but there are so many things that this might indicate. I hope that breeder had a necropsy done. FIP is so misdiagnosed, it's an easy fallback when a vet isn't sure what is wrong but the cat is very ill.

it's natural to worry, but your Loki sounds like he is healthy, he's growing well and active? As to the water bowl emptying, is it warm where you are? It might well just be evaporation? if he's not straining then he just might naturally have harder poops...you can add the fiber and see but make sure you add more water with that fiber too!

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Are you feeding raw now, Bekki? Zeddie has had on-going constipation issues. Her holistic vet told me to put her on a higher fibre raw diet, supplemented with extra digestive enzymes, probiotics and flaxseed oil. It helps her stomach troubles and keeps things flowing through smoothly.

Dogs/cats need 10x more oil than we do as humans, and commercial food never puts enough in. I can see a massive difference in Zeddie's fur in the last 2 months that I have added flax seed oil in (I decided against fish oil due to the mercury and I have heard it expires pretty much as it is bottled.) It also coats her intestines, so there is no friction that could exasperate tummy troubles.

Zeddie tested positive for corona virus, and she is fine. Even after all the health drama we have had. Sometimes some supplements really do the trick.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
In terms of adding fiber, I've found my cats don't appreciate a lot of fiber sources, like the canned pumpkin for example. Trial and error when I was dealing with my extreme case of constipation (Babbage) lead me to using a combination of baby oatmeal and psyllium husk (I put 1/2 cup psyllium in one box of baby oatmeal and then add a tbspn or so of that to every lb of meat). They don't seem to notice these in their food like they did many of the other things I tried.

how much flax seed oil do you add, Kristin?

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I eyeball it. Sometimes it falls out of the bottle a bit fast :p usually its like 1/8 tsp per meal. Her raw is commercially made, so I give her the veggie/fruit blend. The vet said it was more natural than psyllium, which is what I had been supplementing before. She mentioned that the commercially made food may take the fibre out of the intestines, which is where they would naturally get it. Since these changes, we haven't had any problems (except grass eating) *knock on wood*