Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fire May Change Wedding Plans

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
My daughter and the love of her life have set their wedding for Aug. 10th. :toasting: The original plan was to fly to Vegas, but was switched to an outdoor wedding at her father's house in Michigan. He passed away 6 yrs. ago, but her step-mother offered to have a pig roast as a wedding gift. This is Courtney's 2nd marriage (her 1st husband decided he'd rather be with someone else after only 2 years of marriage) and she wanted to go casual.

On July 3rd, a fire destroyed the step-mother's barn. :eek: All the pigs perished, as well as several snowmobiles (my oldest son stored his snowmobile there) and some farm equipment. Fortunately, the horses and cows were able to make it out. Courtney was planning on getting married near the barn, and her step-mother is afraid that she won't have a new one built in time. She plans to carry on with having everything at her home, but the woman was somewhat in shock when she spoke those words. :confused:

While I'm not very fond of her (there's been some bad blood between us over an incident concerning my oldest son when he was little, plus some of the awful things she said about me over the years), I'd never wish this upon her. I hope everything works out for all, and the wedding can move forward as planned!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Wow, that is terrible! I am glad the horses and cows made it out alive, but sad for the pigs and all the damage that must have ensued...

I really hope plans can continue for your daughter's sake...

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Oh, no! How terrible for the loss of the pigs and the barn....poor woman must be in shock :( I'm very glad the other animals got out safely.....

You might advise Courtney to have a back-up plan, and keep her step-mom's place in mind. They could rent a tent or borrow a few canopies and set them up away from the burned area if stepmom is still up to the task, which was a very generous offer! I doubt a new one could be built before then. Or perhaps in a nearby park? Where does the stepmom live in Michigan?

M

macmanmatty

Very sorry to hear this. I hope all is ok now and that nothing exploded and no one got hurt.

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Wow, that is terrible! I am glad the horses and cows made it out alive, but sad for the pigs and all the damage that must have ensued...

I really hope plans can continue for your daughter's sake...
Thank you, Paige! I sure hope so, too!

Green eyed kitty

Mystique the dog/cat;Seraphimah spunky kitty
Sorry to hear of the fires destruction. How sad! Hopefully your daughter has a beautiful wedding and everything goes well.

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Oh, no! How terrible for the loss of the pigs and the barn....poor woman must be in shock :( I'm very glad the other animals got out safely.....

You might advise Courtney to have a back-up plan, and keep her step-mom's place in mind. They could rent a tent or borrow a few canopies and set them up away from the burned area if stepmom is still up to the task, which was a very generous offer! I doubt a new one could be built before then. Or perhaps in a nearby park? Where does the stepmom live in Michigan?
She lives in Cheboygan. The barn and all it entailed kept her busy since the death of my oldest children's father. I'm sure she'll get going on something asap to keep her mind busy. I feel bad about the loss...the pigs and my son's snowmobile, especially. My son's father had given him that snowmobile, so in his eyes, it's irreplaceable.

It is a very generous offer on Geri's part, especially considering all she has to deal with. My daughter originally wanted a quiet wedding with just her and Erick. It would make me sad if things can't be held at her father's because I was planning on spending some time with my daughter, son, grandkids, and a close friend, whom I haven't seen in years. If it ends up that Courtney and Erick fly off somewhere, at least I know they are doing what makes them happy, and in the end, that's all that matters!

I did suggest going to the state park, which is about a quarter of a mile from Geri's house, but Courtney didn't find it appealing. Thank you for the ideas...I'll pass them on!

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Very sorry to hear this. I hope all is ok now and that nothing exploded and no one got hurt.
Thank you! Courtney's half sister was the only one home at the time. She heard the noise of some cans exploding in the barn, but thought it was someone setting off fireworks. When she heard someone yell, "Call 911!" She went to take a look at what was going on, but by then it was too late.

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
I spoke with Courtney, and the wedding at her father's is still on. I'm thankful that she has one less worry with only a month to go. She still has to finish packing up and moving to her new home, on top of all the wedding preparations. I'm sure her step-mother may be a bit overwhelmed at the moment, but it will give her something else to focus on other than her current loss.