Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Year Growth Etc

ginamarie1221

Savannah Super Cat
What type of growth typically occurs during the first year for an SV? Is it height and length followed by weight? Or is it different for all SV's?

Gina

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Agreed... it's hard to generalize as they are individuals just like we humans are...and some of us shoot up later in life than others. I would imagine most of the growth being in height and length with the body filling out later, but then some cats are just more "chunky" from the start than others...

Sunny

Loyal Servant
Box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.

You can look at the parents for a general idea if they might end up on one end or the other of the scale, tall, fat, short, thin etc.

You know that pre-teen at 11-12 you swear is going to be huge turns out average and the little sibling rockets past by 15? Cats are the same way. They keep growing in young adulthood so any promises of a kitten of certain size either a) has repeat pairings with proof of 6mo, 1yr, 2yr, 3yr of several generations (rare with this breed) or b) making an educated guess.

SVs grow into young adulthood and even your normal domestic short hair house cat doesn't reach full maturity until 2 years of age. Out in the wild, you're lucky to survive let alone hit full maturity.

If the attitude is right and they are healthy, count your blessings!

ginamarie1221

Savannah Super Cat
I had no idea that DSH's still grow to 2 years! I was under the impression that a typical house cat will reach full size by the first year. It's good to know all the facts, and in most cases, the differences on how or WHEN a cat will do their growing:)

django

Savannah Super Cat
I had no idea that DSH's still grow to 2 years! I was under the impression that a typical house cat will reach full size by the first year. It's good to know all the facts, and in most cases, the differences on how or WHEN a cat will do their growing:)

Our DSH flame point was 15.1 lbs at 12 months, now he's 17.5 lbs at 16 months, and he's not fat just gotten a lot more muscular. Our Bengal was 17 lbs at 12 months.. but was chubby, after dieting and exercise he's gotten down to a healthy weight of 15.1 and he just turned 3.