Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Fixed male F3 Savannah pinning other cat?

Alex

Savannah Super Cat
I have a fixed 8 year old F3 male Savannah cat and a fixed 7 year old domestic medium hair tabby. Both I've had since they were kittens. At first when she was younger he'd hold her down occasionally while he groomed her. However, as the years have progressed the behavior has expanded and I think he's maybe doing it for other reasons? Whatever position she's in (most of the time laying on her side) he'll straddle her and bite around her neck. He doesn't seem to ever break the skin. Needless to say she doesn't appreciate it, but she's passive enough all she'll do is fuss and cry.

Since they're both fixed I'm wondering if it's maybe a dominance thing??? Through observation it appears he mostly does it when he's board and wants attention, such as when I'm on the phone or working on something else. Sometimes it seems he'll also do it when he's tired and getting ready to snuggle down for a nap?

I'd say they're definitely friends, because she'll smell him all over when he gets in from being outside on his leash, and they do sometimes give each other an occasional lick or groom (though he's more often the initiator on that). They also have fun playing tag around the house.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated - thanks in advance :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
At what age was your male fixed? It does seem that he's pretending to breed your other cat rather than just dominate her.

This is a really good explanation of the factors, along with some tips to work on it!

Vito

Site Supporter
Hi, I have the same behavior with Vito F4 neutered boy, he gets on fabulously with all the cats including the two domestic ones, but every now and again he will straddle them and grab them by the neck and pin them down, it's definitely a dominance behavior and like your cats they are all friends, when he does it to the other savs f5 neutered male and f7 spayed female, they turn the tables and do same to him, however our domestic cats, both neutered males absolutely hate it and get really annoyed and hissy with him, usually I just distract him with something and he will stop. He never bites hard enough that he breaks the skin but he does rather clamp his jaws on them at times. I think it's part of the parcel of having a Savannah, every now and then, they like to show who's boss.

Hippy

Site Supporter
F3c male,
same thing he is a brat!
He know his sister get mad but he does it anyway..
When they where small it was all fun with out much hissing etc going on but now it's like strays fighting for status..

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Alex

Savannah Super Cat
At what age was your male fixed? It does seem that he's pretending to breed your other cat rather than just dominate her.

This is a really good explanation of the factors, along with some tips to work on it!
I had him fixed at four months (so years ago). From what I can tell he mostly does it when he's feeling either cuddly, bored, or I'm not giving him enough attention. He can sometimes get over-stimulated and nip (never breaks the skin) when we're petting him, so the cuddly makes sense.

Thanks for the article link! When I was trying to research it on my own someone suggested spraying the cat that was getting mounted with some type of pheromone scent from a vet ... but with as territorial is Cyro is not sure that'd be smart (he's even chased my sister-in-law's visiting labradoodle out of the house when he'd decided the visit was over :ROFLMAO:). Some of the things I've tried in the past with some success. Pulling out toys to play with him/giving him attention resolves the issue temporarily, but not long term. Plus he destroys them so quickly it gets expensive fast (and sturdier dog toys don't hold his interest) :rolleyes:. Interesting suggestion on vertical territory. They'll sometimes jump from the cat tree to the top of the bookshelf, or hang out on the piano. LOL! Wonder if another cat tree might help/be worth a try.

Glad to know he's not the only silly Savannah boy - LOL! Interesting @Vito . That seems to be EXACTLY what's going on in my house, too :LOL:.

Last edited: