Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Foaming at the mouth after Metronidozole

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Background:
Jammu arrived in March 2013, tested negative for Giardia in April.
Rafiki arrived in May 2013, tested positive for Giardia in June.
Los Angeles water showing high counts during this time. Treated Rafiki and switched them to bottled water.
May 2014, both cats tested positive for Giardia. We think that Jammu caught it from Rafiki and re-contaminated her. In hindsight, we should have retested him for Giardia last year.

Treatement:
Metronidazole 2x/day x 5 days. Fenbendazole 1x/day x 5 days. Hubby was the designated "scruffer" and I was the syringe injector.

First treatment on Saturday was for both meds. No issues. Second treatment of Metronidazole on Saturday evening resulted in Jammu choking a bit and foaming and drooling. I thought that he was leaning too far backwards and may have choked a bit. After 5 minutes or so, he was OK and ate his baby food but he had drooled and foamed quite a bit. (Rafiki had no issues, and she was the one that I was most concerned about having issues with!)

This morning I started with the Fenbendazole and there were no issues. I made sure that the hubby was holding him sitting up and leaning a bit forward. When I tried the Metronidazole, he again had a foaming/drooling at the mouth reaction although not as bad.

Is he having an adverse reaction to the Metronidazole?
Any advice on making this go smoother?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It's actually very common for cats to foam at the mouth after getting a dose of metronidazole, in fact I'm surprised this is the first time he's had this reaction. Is it possible the med was compounded with a tasty flavor last year?

I've never heard of giving metronidazole for only five days, I've always been told to give it for a minimum of seven days but up to 14 days.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Patti, This is Jammu's first time with Metronidazole as it was Rafiki that was treated last year. We had it flavored with fish as he normally loves fish. Last year we flavored Rafiki's with liver but she was not keen on that so we thought we would try a new flavor.

Do you normally treat 2x/day for 7 days or just 1x/day? I also seem to remember only 1 medicine last year and it was for a full week.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Anyone have any good tricks to getting the liquid in?
Jammu is a sweetheart except for when it comes to someone touching his mouth, then he goes nuts. Rafiki was better by comparison but I still managed to inject a dose of Metronidazole into the hubby's eye instead (well, at least it will be parasite free, right?).

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I've always treated twice a day for at least a week with the metronidazole, but I've more recently used fenbendazole - I've never used both together, although I suppose there is nothing wrong with it, just seems a bit of overkill.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Giardia will not go away with only a five day treatment...Patti is correct...for some reason vets continue to only give a 5 day treatment and it just does not work.

I would get the pills and use a pill pocket...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I thought of that as well, but with 250mg being the lowest dose possible in tablet form, accurate dosing can be difficult.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Agreed with Patti. The foaming at the mouth is VERY typical for metronidazole. But also I don't see why you need to give it...Fenbendazole is more effective for Giardia in most cases and much easier to give to cats! You should not need to give both meds, and if I were you I'd treat with the Fenbendazole only and only go to Metronidazole if the Fenbendazole treatment is not working.

Agreed if possible to give pills in pill pockets then that is a good option. Some of my cats do better with liquids and some with pills...