Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Food Help!

VioletFae

Savannah Super Cat
So Vivi is no longer eating canned or raw food much at all anymore, and I'm not sure what to do. :( I've tried different parts of beef and chicken (she takes a few bites of boiled chicken only), and has pretty much turned her nose up at the canned food more and more over the last couple of weeks.

She's eating the dry Taste of the Wild, and seems to like it- but it seems she wants something else. I guess I just don't know what that something is!

I went to Petco today and got a few different flavors of different quality canned foods to try- instinct, royal canin, and blue. I tried the instinct rabbit (which seems to be popular), and she took one bite then walked away. Hmm....

Any ideas?

D

Dantes

have you tried putting fish flakes (bonito) or smashed freeze dried chicken treats on top of any of her foods? that sometimes gets mine going again. they periodically do the i'm not eating THAT revolt. changing location sometimes works too. be as random and creative as possible. at one point I was hiding food bowls, they'd eventually get hungry enough to sniff them out. also got the local organic market to cut up a frozen rabbit for me, when duma revolts, I defrost a hunk for him. or some organic chticken livers, or I make myself some chicken wings and give duma the tips, anything to keep him interested.

VioletFae

Savannah Super Cat
Yes, I'll admit, I'm not very creative in the kitchen- my husband does all the cooking lol! I did move her bowl from the bedroom to our kitchen... Are these food strikes normal with SV's?

Would any fish flakes work? I do have some cichlid flakes here.

My last cat (a Nebelung) LOVED anything fishy- if someone popped a can of tuna, he was at their heels. The same with raw chicken, he would come running if he smelled it and we'd have to fight him off. Vivi doesn't seem to really love any type of food...

I should probably mention that all of my cats in the past have been on dry food only diets, and I'm just 'dipping my feet in' with canned and raw with Vivi.

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
My two SVs have been on/off finicky lately. I just try changing things up, not only food types, but location, etc.

I also brought home a roast beef sandwich from a certain chain and ditched the bread. That got Yeti going again and Yuki had some of it too.

Keep trying different things. You might consider anchovies as a treat. I am thinking about doing so.

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
Nyah goes on these weird eating strikes, too. She has never eaten raw poultry, which makes finding prepared frozen raw difficult. Her favorite is Primal Venison, but she is eating the venison I got from hare today. She was eating rabbit too, but lately that hasn't been acceptable. She eats weruva paw Licken chicken and Peking duck, but she does not scarf anything down. I have been feeding Nyah in our bathroom as that is where she had her quarantine stay, and it just became habit. I feed Kovu in the downstairs guest bedroom as that was his quarantine room. It seemed to make sense to feed them separately. Kovu came upstairs last night and started nibbling on Nyah's ignored dinner, and suddenly she was famished and came over to eat all of it. For now, Kovu backs down when she gives the hairy eyeball, but I wonder how long that will last. I also wonder if she would eat if I fed her closer to Kovu, I just don't want to start territorial food fights!

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
My two SVs have been on/off finicky lately. I just try changing things up, not only food types, but location, etc.

I also brought home a roast beef sandwich from a certain chain and ditched the bread. That got Yeti going again and Yuki had some of it too.

Keep trying different things. You might consider anchovies as a treat. I am thinking about doing so.
Just be careful of garlic or onion.

D

Dantes

Kovu came upstairs last night and started nibbling on Nyah's ignored dinner, and suddenly she was famished and came over to eat all of it.

I wonder if they know that the food supply is endless and therefore don't really care.

When I put food out, my 25lb ragdoll runs for it, but Duma acts like, Ok, thanks, I'll get to it later. He really does eat, but he totally takes his time about it. The only things that seem to get him excited lately are the chunks of rabbit or the freeze dried chicken treats, everything else is, Ok, maybe later.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Just putting this out there. If that incision site is getting infected, that might be the appetite problem all by itself.

scorpius

Chirps & Massive Headbutts
Beyond boiled chicken, have you tried cooked chicken meat? This was a cure all when my SV's would loose appetites (well they would eat it at least). Also, you could give B6/B12 which is said to help induce appetite. I've done this in the past with limited success. dj

VioletFae

Savannah Super Cat
The appetite thing has been going on since before I brought her in for her surgery. She's actually at the vet now getting patched up :(

I have not tried cooked chicken meat, may have to do that today!

Is there any kind of fish that I could try? I've heard tuna isn't good for them...