Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Food recall

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yes, the stomach acid in cats is much different, although they can get salmonella...but mine eat raw and raw egg yolks - never had an issue...

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I think someone told me that when you feed raw the salmonella just passes through as the raw is full of nutrients, and doesn't stick, which is why they often go to the bathroom after eating. In kibble everything is cooked, and the food doesn't pass as quick, leaving time for the bacteria to stick. I could be wrong though...

D

Dantes

Did y'all see this? I guess I find it interesting that salmonella in kibble is a concern...I feed raw and isn't there always a risk in that? I just trust that stomach acid can handle it. I dunno...maybe my thinking is skewed. Anyway, just sharing the link I saw...

Generally when there is a salmonella scare (whether kibble or raw related), they're trying to protect us humans from the evil salmonella.

Kinda ridiculous if you think about it, in the sense that anyone who cooks has to handle raw meat in order to cook.

When it comes to kibble, they're worried about things like kids eating kibble that is rolling around the floor. I don't have kids to know if that's a real issue, although I always thought kids were generally trainable. I would assume that adults who cook know how to handle food in general, but maybe adults don't take the kind of precaution with kibble that they otherwise would with raw?

In any case, it seems the FDA is rarely actually concerned with the health of pets: http://truthaboutpetfood2.com/told-them

Glamouresque

Savannah Super Cat
Some of my cats where affected I think by salmonelle with EVO. The kibbles stay longer in the digestive track than raw or wet food, so more time to multiply. This is what my vet told me.

When I changed to Oven Bake, everything went back to normal (in my case).
I always use raw also, but not all my cats likes it.

I went back to EVO (Oven bake is very $$$) and problems started again with the same cats, than the second recall....
Back to Oven Bake and back to normal again. I tried Taste of the Wild, but some of my cats had problems with it. Vomiting and digestive problems. I think it's the chicken meal.

D

Dantes

I think someone told me that when you feed raw the salmonella just passes through as the raw is full of nutrients, and doesn't stick, which is why they often go to the bathroom after eating. In kibble everything is cooked, and the food doesn't pass as quick, leaving time for the bacteria to stick. I could be wrong though...

What I have read about raw feeding is that a cat's digestive tract is intended for raw eating, it is much shorter than a human digestive tract and this is why the bad stuff passes through quickly.

I don't know anything about whether kibble stays in the digestive tract longer or differently (seems a strange thing IMO) but kibble at best is a bunch of stuff that's been cooked so much and at such high temperatures that it no longer is what it is. What the bunch of stuff is can also be lots of chemicals, and at the very least they finish it all off by spraying it with chemicals that make it "palatable." http://truthaboutpetfood2.com/pet-food-flavor

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-03/chemistry-kibble?single-page-view=true
"Pyrophosphates have been described to me as “cat crack.” Coat some kibble with it, and the pet food manufacturer can make up for a whole host of gustatory shortcomings. Rawson has three kinds of pyrophosphates in her office. They’re in plain, brown glass bottles, vaguely sinister in their anonymity. I have asked to try some, which, I think, has won me some points. Sodium acid pyrophosphate, known affectionately as SAPP, is part of the founding patent for AFB, yet almost no one who works for the company has ever asked to taste it. Rawson finds this odd. I do, too, although I also accept the possibility that other people would find the two of us odd."

Kristin

Animal Communicator
What I have read about raw feeding is that a cat's digestive tract is intended for raw eating, it is much shorter than a human digestive tract and this is why the bad stuff passes through quickly.

I don't know anything about whether kibble stays in the digestive tract longer or differently (seems a strange thing IMO) but kibble at best is a bunch of stuff that's been cooked so much and at such high temperatures that it no longer is what it is. What the bunch of stuff is can also be lots of chemicals, and at the very least they finish it all off by spraying it with chemicals that make it "palatable." http://truthaboutpetfood2.com/pet-food-flavor

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-03/chemistry-kibble?single-page-view=true
"Pyrophosphates have been described to me as “cat crack.” Coat some kibble with it, and the pet food manufacturer can make up for a whole host of gustatory shortcomings. Rawson has three kinds of pyrophosphates in her office. They’re in plain, brown glass bottles, vaguely sinister in their anonymity. I have asked to try some, which, I think, has won me some points. Sodium acid pyrophosphate, known affectionately as SAPP, is part of the founding patent for AFB, yet almost no one who works for the company has ever asked to taste it. Rawson finds this odd. I do, too, although I also accept the possibility that other people would find the two of us odd."

Thanks for posting the articles...thats really interesting!