Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

For now Rocky's just a big cat, not bobcat, can go home

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Just found this in the news... 2 parts...

Part 1.)

NJ woman fights to get pet bobcat back

LACEY TOWNSHIP, N.J. - April 10, 2014 --
A New Jersey woman wants her pet bobcat back after animal control removed the animal when it escaped for the second time in six months.
Pet lover Ginny Fine of Beach Haven West is missing her legally owned, 3-year-old hybrid bobcat 'Rocky' who is being cared for right now at the Popcorn Park Zoo.
See full article at: http://6abc.com/archive/9499348/

Part 2.)

For now Rocky's just a big cat, not bobcat, can go home

Who's the daddy of a 38-pound kitty that was wandering around this area in early April?
The answer to that question may never be known.

For that reason Rocky, a cat who's supposed to be a cross between a bobcat and a Maine coon but was suspected of being a purebred bobcat, can go home.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/05/17/rocky-big-kitty-or-bobcat/9226

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Well I am so glad Rocky gets to go home, But The State, County and City need to keep their fat noses out of a persons life. The Cat has not been a problem other that getting out. Get a life, government. The judge should have his behind kicked for making the statements he made.
Ok... done ranting.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Well I am so glad Rocky gets to go home, But The State, County and City need to keep their fat noses out of a persons life. The Cat has not been a problem other that getting out. Get a life, government. The judge should have his behind kicked for making the statements he made.
Ok... done ranting.
At least the Judge did give him back to his rightful owner.

Carykd7kau

At least the Judge did give him back to his rightful owner.
Well yes. I think LEGALLY he HAD to. But to say a person has no right to have a Bobcat.. I don't agree. I will say it is not WISE, but Who is the governement to say who can and can't have an animal. I just HATE the whole idea of ANY animal being classed as harmful. They are living beings, probably smarter than most government officials, and should be treated like any other person. Don't mess with them and they wont mess with you.
GOD said we have DOMINION over animals, NOT DOMINATION!!!

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I am very happy that she got him back. I am afraid of the part where it states that if it is determined that Rocky's dad is also a bobcat, they can seize him in the future. According to UC Davis, they have never found a cat whose DNA shows a successful mating between a bobcat and a domestic. Lord knows enough people have made that claim (including Carol Ann Brewer, the one that started the pixie bob breed) and sent samples to them for analysis.

Carykd7kau

Sorry kids. I get very worked up and become quite outspoken and mean when Government interfers in a persons otherwise quiet life with their loved animal friends and kids. ( The ex-cop in me...)

admin

Paige
Staff member
The issue here is that in NJ you cannot own a bobcat...so if the cat IS a bobcat, then the owner is partially to blame for having an illegal exotic cat...

Many of us fight against all these laws, but owning an illegal cat just fuels the fire of the legislators and the press and makes our job that much more difficult :(

Carykd7kau

I know. If the owner KNEW it was a bobcat. But I think ALL legislators are wrong and need to be fired. And the Press is nothing but a bunch of liars anyway. I am so Anti government/press. The best government is one that is not even seen let alone heard. The United States of America used to be a good place to live. Now... the country I grew up in and fought for has died. As have our rights and freedoms as people.