Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Foster Kittens

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I have a questions for those of you that foster kittens. How do you get people interested in them? Does it just depend on the kittens/time of year?

I don't foster, however I work at a vet that supports a local animal adoption clinic. One of my colleagues took 8 kittens and their mama in when they were dropped off at the clinic. The person who dropped them off took the mama (she was a street kitty) and 3 kittens were adopted by other colleagues. There are currently 5 kittens up for adoption. They are adorable, incredibly well socialized, and sweet as can be. But they are now about 16 weeks old and getting too big for their foster mama to keep.

The adoption agency is absolutely zero help, and doesn't even have them up on the internet. They don't even know who the kittens are :( I have been posting about them like crazy, but I was wondering if there is a trick to getting them adopted?

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
One local vet office with a large reception area, puts kittens and puppies up for adoption in a large pen/cage area which people can interact with the furballs. They seem to move them out quite nicely.
Maybe you can get the vet interested and give a adoption care package at a discount. Good way for the vet to attract new business.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Yeah, I've seen them like that in pet stores as well. Unfortunately we don't have cages like that at the clinic (usually the ferret ones work very nicely, but they are pricey) and the agency that "has" them is so difficult to work with, no pet stores will allow their kittens in their stores :(

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Bless you, Kristin, for helping to find those babies their new homes :)

I agree with Rascaldad; my vet often has rescue kittens or cats in a large cage in the lobby corner. A nicely made sign is attached that describes each kitten/cat; their names, age, personality and other info is on the sign. They are adopted very quickly! Could you perhaps find a used large dog or ferret or cat cage on Craigslist...and donate or loan it to your vet to use to showcase the kittens where the public can see them?

I also suggest getting some really cute, GOOD pics of each kitten. Posed on a clean and cute background, with toys and a pretty collar or temporary ribbon really seems to help get kittens adopted, as well as each having an appropriate name.

Hope this helps...good luck!

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Thanks guys! These kittens are in good hands right now, but I know that if they end up in the shelter, they will likely be lost in the system for the rest of their lives.
I will talk to the office manager when I am in on Wednesday, and see if she would be okay with this. The kittens live at the clinic while their foster mama is working anyways, so it would just change their location.

Thanks for these great ideas guys! I did a photoshoot with them (no cute backgrounds and ribbons, but they are edited and playing) and I put together a cute little video. Love these little kittens...I am such a sucker

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks guys! These kittens are in good hands right now, but I know that if they end up in the shelter, they will likely be lost in the system for the rest of their lives.
I will talk to the office manager when I am in on Wednesday, and see if she would be okay with this. The kittens live at the clinic while their foster mama is working anyways, so it would just change their location.

Thanks for these great ideas guys! I did a photoshoot with them (no cute backgrounds and ribbons, but they are edited and playing) and I put together a cute little video. Love these little kittens...I am such a sucker

If only the power of the cuteness of kittens could be packaged, eh? :)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I hope you are able to help get the kitties adopted! I see a lot of success on Facebook with rescue groups but if the shelter you are working with is unwilling to help it can be really frustrating. Perhaps when you post about them make sure you associate them with your clinic - it may give them a degree of credibility that may make them more marketable.

Having said that, I think the idea of having them in the reception area of your vet office is a great idea! At least you know the people who walk through those doors care enough to spend the money necessary to care for their pets!

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Well, I think putting the kittens in reception isn't an option. I posted the video I made for them on the vet's Facebook page, and they took it down :(

Seems they don't want to help get this kitties adopted out either