Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Found a worm.

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
I was petting Leo this afternoon and doing the usual routine until I noticed something white coming out of his rear. I thought it was a piece of string, but closer inspection showed me it was wiggling. I just had a fecal panel done on him last week when I was at the vet and it came up clean. I already left a message with my vet. He has no change in personality or activity level. He might be eating a little more than usual, but not enough for me to say definitely. Any advice or suggestions are highly appreciated. I'm thinking it's a tape worm, but I haven't seen any fleas in a long time. Thank you guys!

Here is a video.
http://www.filefactory.com/file/61k0tfbey90h/n/IMG_1752.MOV

edit* Made an appointment today bringing him in.

Attachments

• IMG_1750.JPG
    IMG_1750.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 33

admin

Paige
Staff member
Revolution will prevent fleas, which will prevent tapeworms...the vet will give you some medication to treat the tapeworm...are you feeding raw?

All the kitten or cat has to do is just ingest a flea for it to get a tapeworm - does not necessarily have to have a flea infestation. And tapeworms can also come from raw food...unlikely, but possible.

Tarah

Mace's Mama
Pretty sure that's a tape worm, my Mace had the same thing. His fecal tests came up fine but he was still having stool issues. We had our breakthrough when we saw the same white worms in his stool and from his rear. We didn't have fleas either, our vet said he probably came from the breeder with it. Good luck, I hope your Leo gets well soon!

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
Blue Wilderness Kitten kibble always available. Blue wilderness wet food 3x daily. Sometimes raw sirloin, chicken breast, chicken hearts.

Revolution is a topical treatment right? For fleas?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Blue Wilderness Kitten kibble always available. Blue wilderness wet food 3x daily. Sometimes raw sirloin, chicken breast, chicken hearts.

Revolution is a topical treatment right? For fleas?

Yes, matt...I edited my post above so i was clearer ;)

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks everyone! Leo had a stool sample checked and it was clear. Vet gave him oral medication for the taper. Did not like the vet he came off kind of arrogant. They had no idea what Savannah's were and had to enter him into the computer as "other" breed. Vet said, "Here let me show you a trick to get your cat to take the pill", and proceeded to pin Leo down and force his jaws open. When he attempted to force the pill down Leo's mouth he spit it out and it went flying across the floor.

Leo let me give him the pill. Again, the Vet probably didn't know Savannahs and it was an awkward situation. That is probably standard procedure to give a cat a pill. He also told me you can only get revolution over the counter.

Leo most likely got the tapers from the breeder. Thanks again guys.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
How embarrassing for the vet to be saying he was going to show you a "trick" and have it fail like that! LOL!

It's surprising that they still haven't heard of Savannahs, but it's not uncommon for the computer programs to not have Savannah as an option. I think they often go by the CFA list of cat breeds instead of TICA...

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
Yeah I honestly didn't say much about it because I'm not a jerk and felt bad for him. But, I wish he hadn't been so forceful. I just said he was extra nervous today. Leo is fine though we were playing after the visit.